Makemkv rips fine, but ripped file has glitches?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Schmush

Makemkv rips fine, but ripped file has glitches?

Post by Schmush »

Hi,

I'm trying to make a backup of a blu-ray and makemkv rips it without errors.

However when playing the ripped mkv there are skips and scrambles a few places in the movie.

I've ripped the disc three times now and they all have the errors, but at different places in the movie. Each rip has errors, but not exactly the same errors as the other rips. One is almost perfect except for a single scramble.

I'm playing the file in VLC on a relatively powerful machine, and have played the file on other devices as well so I'm very sure it isn't a playback issue.

Does anyone know how to fix?

Thanks
Last edited by Schmush on Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Makemkv rips fine, but ripped file has glitches?

Post by Woodstock »

If you play back the movie, are the glitches in the same place each time?

Generally speaking, MakeMKV will generate the same file (except for the checksum information) each time you rip a disk. You can compare them. If the file passes the checksum, it should be exactly what was ripped, otherwise it gets deleted.

But some players will get glitches while playing back a file, depending on how fast the disk it's coming from can send the data. That's something that MakeMKV can't fix, because it's part of the system.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Schmush

Post by Schmush »

If you play back the movie, are the glitches in the same place each time?
Yes, but each rip has different errors.

I don't think it's a player issue as the errors are at the same place in the movie each time. I've also played the movie on other systems and they produce the same errors.
outlier

Post by outlier »

This is a long shot, but it might be worth running a memory test (in my case I booted memtest86 off a usb thumb drive).

In the last 12-15 months I've seen some inconsistencies in what makemkv produces. E.g., sometimes if I try to re-save a disc and compare it to one I made a few months ago the file size differs by 1 byte and/or an occasional bit is different. The save wasn't necessarily made with the same version of makemkv, so I'm not sure how common that is to make a difference. Occasionally I see a glitch if I try to play a mkv using my Sony 4K player, though it could be an issue with the player.

At the beginning of the 12-15 month time period I installed new RAM and ran memtest86 w/o seeing any problems. Recently I ran memtest86 again and it noticed a problem with 1 bit (out of 8 GB), and I replaced the RAM again. I re-saved a disc I knew had a glitch, and I think it's now gone. I'm not sure if the 1-bit error was the actual issue, but it certainly wouldn't have helped.
Schmush

Post by Schmush »

Thanks for the tip @outlier.
I'm using a really old machine to rip so I guess hw faults could be a possibility.
Makemkv complains that I should use a processor less than 10 years old :D
Schmush

Post by Schmush »

Does anyone know if it could be caused by a scratch on the disc?

Like if there were a small scratch would it then be possible that makemkv could read without errors, but the scratch caused skips and scrambles?

Or would makemkv just fail to read then?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Schmush wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:59 am
Does anyone know if it could be caused by a scratch on the disc?

Like if there were a small scratch would it then be possible that makemkv could read without errors, but the scratch caused skips and scrambles?

Or would makemkv just fail to read then?
makemkv would report an error
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com