What does this error mean?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
HelloFromMe

What does this error mean?

Post by HelloFromMe » Wed May 29, 2024 4:38 am

Hi,so I used tsMuxeR to make a video file ready for burning but got this error:

H264 warn: Unexpected pic_order_cnt_lsb value 1. FrameNum: 175840 slice type: P_TYPE

Since I had a BD-RE available I burned the image anyway and it seems to work fine in my bluray player.
Anyone knows what the mentioned error actually means?

Woodstock

Re: What does this error mean?

Post by Woodstock » Wed May 29, 2024 1:57 pm

This has what to do with MakeMKV?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

HelloFromMe

Post by HelloFromMe » Wed May 29, 2024 7:14 pm

Woodstock wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:57 pm
This has what to do with MakeMKV?
Well I forgot to mention that I ripped first with Makemkv so no idea if makemkv have anything to do with the error message.

GnomeFondler

Post by GnomeFondler » Wed May 29, 2024 9:52 pm

HelloFromMe wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 4:38 am
Hi,so I used tsMuxeR to make a video file ready for burning but got this error:

H264 warn: Unexpected pic_order_cnt_lsb value 1. FrameNum: 175840 slice type: P_TYPE

Since I had a BD-RE available I burned the image anyway and it seems to work fine in my bluray player.
Anyone knows what the mentioned error actually means?
It means that the pic_order_cnt_lsb value shouldn't be 1 for frame 175840, but it's only a warning. I'm not going to read enough of the H.264 spec to figure out because I frankly don't care and although there are a few people around who might know off the top of their heads, I doubt they'll be able to give you any kind of explanation that will make sense if you haven't read the H.264 spec. If you do read the entire H.264 spec you might be able to figure out why that flag shouldn't be 1 for the type of frame that is or that frame in particular and what the actual implications are. Most likely there aren't any, the frame number indicates it's probably the last frame of the stream if the movie is around 2 hours so it might just be an encoding error that doesn't matter because there's nothing left to decode after. Although that's an extremely short runtime for most of the marvel extended quipverse "movies" it's pretty normal for good movies that aren't biographies or documentaries.

Then again, there's no indication of what "make a video file ready for burning" means here, since there are multiple ways to do that in tsmuxer from different types of output from makemkv. TSMuxer gets built every day I think, if ffmpeg was involved anywhere it can cause problems if the avc stream was extracted with incorrect settings, if you reencoded it for some reason it might not be bluray compliant anymore, if you have 64GB of ram and have it set to some stupidly high XMP speed it might be a bit flip error (you'll hit noticable ones on videos more often than anything else because they're huge, if you have the memory Windows will keep them in Standby for a long time and most of the data isn't actually checksummed but changing single bits can cause seconds to minutes of corruption during playback.), TSmuxer might be warning on something incorrectly, etc...

If it isn't causing actual playback errors who cares?