Issue Opening Disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
u2uasoguq9

Issue Opening Disc

Post by u2uasoguq9 »

Hello,

When trying to rip Disc #4 of these DVDs:
https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Bullwinkle ... B079P9788D

I click the "Open DVD Disc" button, and it starts the process of scanning the contents, however, it always stalls on "current cell: 1:6/6"

At that point the drive stops spinning and it does nothing.

I've tried this with 2 different drives the LG GP63EX70 and and the LG BP50NB40 with both experiencing the same issue. I'm able to play back the DVD with no issues using VLC.

I'm running MakeMKV on Fedora Linux 38 and I've ripped dozens of DVDs and blu-rays with no issue. I also paid for a license too, not sure if that makes a difference. I'd be happy to provide logs if you can give me directions.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Issue Opening Disc

Post by Woodstock »

Seems like the drives cannot read part of the disk. Playing the disk with VLC isn't trying to read the part that's failing.

Have you tried cleaning the disk? Yes, even brand new disks can need cleaned, especially when they were brand new some years ago...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
u2uasoguq9

Post by u2uasoguq9 »

Yes, I've tried cleaning. Usually when a disc needs to be cleaned I'll get a read error or something. With this disc I get nothing.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

u2uasoguq9 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:52 pm
Yes, I've tried cleaning. Usually when a disc needs to be cleaned I'll get a read error or something. With this disc I get nothing.
Likely based on where the disc is unreadable.
u2uasoguq9

Post by u2uasoguq9 »

I was able to successfully rip this disc on Windows using the same USB drive. This is apparently a bug when using this software in Linux.