Blue Planet (2013 USA) off pitch and stuttery when ripped via makemkv

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
sephirothkefka

Blue Planet (2013 USA) off pitch and stuttery when ripped via makemkv

Post by sephirothkefka »

Hey all,

Recently got a copy of the US release of the BBC nature docu Blue Planet on Amazon. When I ripped the disc I noticed the audio sounded a bit off as it was higher pitched and more stuttery than usual (this has a 5.1 DTS-MA sound track). Putting in my Blu-ray player did reveal that it was the fault of makemkv not the disc itself as the audio sounded proper (in 5.1 too no less). I feel like this might be some flag related thing. Any ideas? it appears to be rendered at 23.976fps on both the mkv and the player via its player info.
Billycar11

Re: Blue Planet (2013 USA) off pitch and stuttery when ripped via makemkv

Post by Billycar11 »

Most likely it's your player you used to play the mkv try it on a PC with vlc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:42 pm
The player has the correct pitch while the ripped mkv doesn't. I'm doing a bluray decrypt to see if the m2ts streams themselves play fine and then might make an mkv out of those.

EDIT: One of the M2TS streams finished ripping and its still high pitched. i wonder whats going on hmmm...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

sephirothkefka wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:06 am
Billycar11 wrote:
The player has the correct pitch while the ripped mkv doesn't. I'm doing a bluray decrypt to see if the m2ts streams themselves play fine and then might make an mkv out of those.

EDIT: One of the M2TS streams finished ripping and its still high pitched. i wonder whats going on hmmm...
yeah but players treat different sources differently it ripped off the disc exactly how it is.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:13 am
sephirothkefka wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:06 am
Billycar11 wrote:

yeah but players treat different sources differently it ripped off the disc exactly how it is.
My player is a Panasonic UB9000. I might try on some other players to see how they decode (have a Xbox series x, ps5, and ps3 on hand)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think Billycar11 is talking about which software you're using to play either the .mkv or .m2ts files on your computer.

MakeMKV is really good at making an exact copy of the data on a blu-ray disc. Often when people think MakeMKV has ripped something incorrectly (without MakeMKV spewing errors all over the log) because either the audio or video is wrong or distorted in some way, the culprit is usually the software they're using for playback on their computer.

What software are you using on your computer for playback?
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 am
I think Billycar11 is talking about which software you're using to play either the .mkv or .m2ts files on your computer.

MakeMKV is really good at making an exact copy of the data on a blu-ray disc. Often when people think MakeMKV has ripped something incorrectly (without MakeMKV spewing errors all over the log) because either the audio or video is wrong or distorted in some way, the culprit is usually the software they're using for playback on their computer.

What software are you using on your computer for playback?
I guess this thread is irrelevant now. Turns out every episode except the first has improper pitch and stuttering due to a lazy sd-hd conversion job. the original DVD was stereo DD to boot so I just decided to use that rather than the bluray. I wonder if the uk bluray is borked as that is dd stereo like the dvd rather than 5.1 dts ma.