Issues with X-Men Trilogy

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
musictrivianut

Issues with X-Men Trilogy

Post by musictrivianut »

I purchased the X-Men Trilogy blu ray set several years ago (X-Men, X2, and The Last Stand) and never had an issue watching them on my PS3. I have been making backup copies of all of my movies over the last few months and got to this set, though, and have encountered something that no other discs have done.

First, using Ubuntu 20.04 and MakeMKV 1.16.7 (registered because it's a great product!).

For all three movies, the special features disc will load, mount and copy just fine. However, none of the actual movie discs will even mount. At all. Not that MakeMKV won't recognize the discs, but that Ubuntu says there is no medium in the drive. Have used other blu ray discs since then, so it's not the drive, but something with these discs.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

And I did search the forum, but as we all know, that isn't perfect. If there is another thread on this, please just point it out.

Thanks much!
dcoke22

Re: Issues with X-Men Trilogy

Post by dcoke22 »

Perhaps try gently cleaning the disc.
musictrivianut

Post by musictrivianut »

Oh, I've cleaned the disc multiple times. Even put each into the PS3 again today and they all loaded right up. Currently ripping Game of Thrones Season 08 on bluray, so it is definitely not the player.

Also, noted that there are absolutely zero messages in the system logs and dmesg about any sort of activity when trying to read them. No failures or anything. It's like it's trying, but it's not? Simply refuses to recognizes that a disc was put in when it's one of those X-Men movies from the trilogy set. Bizarre.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

musictrivianut wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:14 am
Oh, I've cleaned the disc multiple times. Even put each into the PS3 again today and they all loaded right up. Currently ripping Game of Thrones Season 08 on bluray, so it is definitely not the player.

Also, noted that there are absolutely zero messages in the system logs and dmesg about any sort of activity when trying to read them. No failures or anything. It's like it's trying, but it's not? Simply refuses to recognizes that a disc was put in when it's one of those X-Men movies from the trilogy set. Bizarre.
Try a different drive if you can or even a different PC. Some drives simply don't like some discs.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
musictrivianut

Post by musictrivianut »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:02 am

Try a different drive if you can or even a different PC. Some drives simply don't like some discs.
Understandable. And I would if I could. Believe my computer is the only one in the house with a blu ray drive, though. I will ask around (we do have several laptops), but I was hoping for a more concrete solution, i.e. a "fix" for my computer. Really don't want to have to pony up for *another* external blu ray drive, just so I can make a backup of these. But, in case I do, anyone out there had success with them? I believe it is this set; each movie has a feature blu ray disc (with special features), a second blu ray disc of more special features, and then a digital copy disc.

If anyone has managed to make a backup of these, could you let me know what drive you used, please?

Thanks!

Edit: Should have added that I currently have a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XD05 Firmware date is 2014, so it is probably older than most, but that set is from 2009, so really should work fine.
musictrivianut

Post by musictrivianut »

Meh, thought about it for a bit and decided to go ahead and just get a new drive. Went with this one (yes, another Pioneer).

Hopefully, it will read those discs. If not, I can always send it back to Amazon. Or keep it and rip two movies at once with the command line. Will figure it out.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

musictrivianut wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:00 am
Meh, thought about it for a bit and decided to go ahead and just get a new drive. Went with this one (yes, another Pioneer).

Hopefully, it will read those discs. If not, I can always send it back to Amazon. Or keep it and rip two movies at once with the command line. Will figure it out.
Yeah, it's really hard to figure out what the problem could be but another drive (or PC) are good troubleshooting starting points. It also could be that the discs themselves are on the way out...

My Wild Hogs blu ray disc from 2007 would read fine in my old Lite-on drive that I had back then. I replaced that drive in 2017 and now have 4 different drives. None of them would read it, yet it would still play fine in an actual BD player (good ole buffering!). I guess, in 10 years, the disc had degraded enough to not be able to be read bit by bit anymore. I ended up replacing it and the new one read just fine in all of my drives.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
musictrivianut

Post by musictrivianut »

Just a follow-up for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.

New drive arrived yesterday. Tried X-Men (2000) blu ray in old drive (BDR-XD05) and same behavior; did not find disc.

Ejected and put it in the new one (BDR-XS07S) and it loaded right up.

Just seems that some older drives won't handle all discs, even older ones.

Again, thanks to all who replied.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

musictrivianut wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:49 pm
Just seems that some older drives won't handle all discs, even older ones.
It has been my experience that no one drive, old or new, will handle all discs. On the rare occasions that my 'normal' drive won't read a disc, more often than not, when I put it in one of my other drives, it works. Not always, of course, but often.
musictrivianut

Post by musictrivianut »

Good to know. This is the first time that older Pioneer had balked at a disc. Makes me glad to have an additional, different one now.