Obfuscation Newbie & ISO question

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ChicagoJoe69

Re: Obfuscation Newbie & ISO question

Post by ChicagoJoe69 »

Wait...are you suggesting that for non obfuscated with one main file? Or is this something that might work for obfuscated as well? Does Nero create .iso or just burn from one?

Re Lionsgate (mentioned above): My first thought was this sounds like something Disney would do so to test that theory this afternoon I picked up a recent BD from a library. Significant release but nothing I'd want to keep even if you gave it to me. Ripped with MakeMKV. There is one big file that opens with the logo and ends with credits and whose running time matches the movie. So I guess they are not.

Then again, Searchlight is Disney now and I saw obfuscation on one of theirs.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ChicagoJoe69 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:08 pm
Wait...are you suggesting that for non obfuscated with one main file? Or is this something that might work for obfuscated as well? Does Nero create .iso or just burn from one?

Re Lionsgate (mentioned above): My first thought was this sounds like something Disney would do so to test that theory this afternoon I picked up a recent BD from a library. Significant release but nothing I'd want to keep even if you gave it to me. Ripped with MakeMKV. There is one big file that opens with the logo and ends with credits and whose running time matches the movie. So I guess they are not.

Then again, Searchlight is Disney now and I saw obfuscation on one of theirs.
No, you are ripping the move to an mkv file. Rip to folder instead.

1. Insert the disc
2. Open MakeMKV
3. Click the folder up the top to backup the complete disc to a decrypted folder. (Make sure the decryption checkbox is checked and select save location)
4. Once completed run ImgBurn (get v2.5.0.0 if you don't have it) and create iso from folder. (nero may work for iso creation, I don't know as I haven't used Nero in over 10 years!)
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ChicagoJoe69

Post by ChicagoJoe69 »

Oh, I always rip to a folder. Hence, in my Disney test I found a huge file (among many others) which was the whole movie.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ChicagoJoe69 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:39 am
Oh, I always rip to a folder. Hence, in my Disney test I found a huge file (among many others) which was the whole movie.
Sometimes they are one large m2ts file, other times split in to multiple m2ts files.

If you always rip to folder, then that folder would be the entire disc. If you then want a complete copy on a disc, use ImgBurn to either create an iso from the folder or write the folder to disc directly. ImgBurn will know it is a bluray disc structure and will ask you what you want to do.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There's a difference between what I'd call playlist obfuscation and the much more common seamless branching. Seamless branching is when a movie is split into multiple segments. Pixar movies are often this way, with segments for the opening credits and closing credits since they'll render them in multiple languages. In north America, the blu-rays often have English, French and Spanish language versions. You'll find three movie length titles on the disc with a few segments each where any text on the screen has been rendered in a different language.

Obfuscation is when seamless branching is used to create a bunch of arbitrary segments (usually dozens) of a movie and the blu-ray contains (usually) 100 or more titles with all-but-one title all jumbled up. Knives Out (2019) is this way. The only purpose of this is to make using programs like MakeMKV harder.