Point makemkv to java

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jbnouser

Point makemkv to java

Post by jbnouser »

How can I point makemkv to Java on my Linux machine? Java is located in /usr/bin/java.

Sometimes when I rip a BluRay, makemkv lists tens or hundreds of "fake playlists". I just became aware of this protection scheme. After reading more about it on these forums, it seems makemkv has the ability to select and only display the correct file, but it needs Java to do
so. How can I make this work correct?
d00zah

Re: Point makemkv to java

Post by d00zah »

Preferences > Protection tab > Custom Java executable location
SixDigitCode

Post by SixDigitCode »

In fact, I made a tutorial for this just yesterday for Linux.

Here's how to make MakeMKV use the correct Java version

Download Java 8 for "Linux x64" (I'm using Linux, so if you're on Windows or Mac YMMV). Note: Use the official Java runtime--I've had issues getting MakeMKV to work with OpenJDK.

Extract the .tar.gz file you downloaded into your downloads folder. Open the folder you just extracted and open the "bin" folder.

Copy (or take note of) the path of the "java" program file in the bin folder and make sure it has "/java" at the end. Your path should look something like /home/sixdigitcode/Downloads/jre1.8.0_291/bin/java

Open MakeMKV and choose View > Preferences. On the "Protection" tab paste the path you found into the "Custom Java executable location" text box

Open a Blu-Ray with playlist obfuscation and check if you can see the identifiers next to each title. The title you want should say something like FPL_MainFeature)

Hope this helps!
ranger671

Post by ranger671 »

I am running into same thing, but with many of the newer discs, I am receiving a fatal error and makemkv crashes. I am using oracle java 8. Have had good luck with Deepwater Horizon, but fails with Hunter Killer and Hellboy (2019). Any assistance/pointers would be greatly appreciated.
twainer

Post by twainer »

So I did exactly that; went to https://java.com/en/download/ and pulled down jre-8u291-linux-x64.tar.gz. I unpacked the files -- tar -xvf jre-8u291-linux-x64.tar.gz and peeked at the files in the bin directory where I found the binary executable "java". Checking that location, I pasted the string into the custom java setting under view/preferences/protection: /home/myusername/Downloads/jre1.8.0_291/bin/java.
I clicked 'apply' then 'save' then exited the program and restarted makemkv.
All of this had exactly no effect of any sort. When I open (in this case) 'A Hologram for the King' I see dozens and dozens of identical listings for the film, none of them with any sort of unique identifier of any sort.
What's the deal?