Problems ripping Blu-Rays

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ZenlessPopcorn

Problems ripping Blu-Rays

Post by ZenlessPopcorn »

I'm not entirely sure what is going on but whatever I try to rip any of my Blu-Rays in the last month it would seem I'm having issues with my rips.

Firstly, when there is a faulty rip (which I'm finding is quite often) the image is incomplete, and either part of the left or right-hand side is missing (cropped) and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what exactly is happening, Another thing I have noticed is that any text at the bottom of the screen appears to "dance about" a little, even off the screen and can be partially unreadable because of this. These texts are supposed to be stationary.

Have I done something wrong with my discs? I've used 2 different drives (one of them with Libredrive, the other has not) with the same odd results. I've not noticed this issue as yet with any DVDs.

I've looked through your basics on what to do if things go wrong and the only one I'm stuck on is both my Blu-Ray drives are USB external powered. Is there anything basic I could have missed for this to happen? I've used this software for a while and this is the first time I've had this happen and I'm just wondering if on my part it's an ID10T error or not. Some of these discs have been ripped successfully in the past (the only reason they are being reripped now is that I needed to replace the hard drive).

Any thoughts?

I thank all in advance for help and advice, I really want to get back to ripping my discs!
Woodstock

Re: Problems ripping Blu-Rays

Post by Woodstock »

"Dancing text" is fairly common with older digital transfers. Especially if the first transfer was for DVD, with interlaced frame scans.

MakeMKV generally won't save a file if it contains errors or is otherwise incomplete. What titles are we discussing here?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ZenlessPopcorn

Re: Problems ripping Blu-Rays

Post by ZenlessPopcorn »

I've had issues with the following discs

The Older ones I've tried and had issues with:
The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-Ray and Bonus DVD, UK)
Hellraiser Trilogy (Blu-Ray, UK, Arrow)

New ones with same issue:
Never Sleep Again - The Elm Street Legacy (Blu-Ray, US)
Life After Flash (Blu-Ray, Region Free)
Life After The Navigator (Blu-Ray, Region Free)
Batman Ninja (Blu-Ray, UK)

What I mean about the image is that it seems to be cropped in ratio (what you see? I don't know if I'm making sense here), so it doesn't show the full screen, which is really odd.

I'm not sure if this information helps or not, but I found I have the same issues (dancing text, cropped image) with Handbrake, and initially thought it was down to that software cropping the image, but found that I still had the same issue after ensuring that I selected that none of the image was cropped. The video file isn't corrupted to my knowledge and the full runtime of the file is actually there, but it's the picture that is the issue, not the runtime.