MakeMKV does not display englisch audio tracks

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
__ap0

MakeMKV does not display englisch audio tracks

#1 Post by __ap0 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to use MakeMKV (1.15.4) to rip a Blu-Ray movie (Entity from 1982 by Koch Media).

Unfortunately the main movie track does not offer me the englisch audio track to be stored ripped. It shows only the german ones.
The cover states that german and english is included. I also used VLC to play the Blu-Ray with the MakeMKV integration. There, on the menu, I am able to select the englisch track and the audio is indeed in englisch.

This is how the selection menu looks like.

I thought maybe the language setting in MakeMKV may have something to do with this, so I set everything to englisch but it did not help.
I also tryed two different drives. One old LG drive and also an Asus BW-16D1HT with LibreDrive Firmware installed. None of the two offers englisch tracks.

Is there something else I can try?

Thank you

EDIT: I just realised something and am very sorry.

The BluRay is currently still ripping so I cant verify this currently but it will be done in some minutes. Sorry, again.

Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV does not display englisch audio tracks

#2 Post by Woodstock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:03 pm

MakeMKV displays the metadata for the tracks. If there are none tagged as English, they won't be displayed as being English.

Sometimes it depends on the play list. GKids movies often have different play lists for "English" and "Japanese", where only one language is available. To get a bilingual file, you have to rip both, then use mkvmerge to combine the audio tracks from one into the other. The underlying m2ts files have all languages in them, but ripping by m2ts will leave out important parts, like title sequences and chapters.

What you have in your screenshot may be a different authoring "trick"; the English track is tagged in the metadata as German, to match up with the German subtitle track.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

__ap0

#3 Post by __ap0 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Indeed the audio track is labeled wrong here. Thank you for the explanation Woodstock. I guess my problem is solved here. I will try my luck with mkvtoolnix to rename/change the metadata of the wrong titled audio tracks.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm

In the mkvtoolnix GUI, the header editor will do the trick for changing the metadata. I've been making extensive use of it recently, for different reasons.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging