Issues with newer WWE DVD's

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
AladdinSane

Issues with newer WWE DVD's

Post by AladdinSane »

Hello, I've been using MakeMKV for a few years to make backups of my discs, but WWE DVD's have been giving me issues for awhile. When I backup the disc, the resulting file has a squished aspect ratio. The DVD's play in 16x9, with artificial bars to frame it to 4x3, but when I play the MKV file, it is 4x3 with the bars, so it is a squished. Anyone have any ideas? I can provide a sample if that would help.
Woodstock

Re: Issues with newer WWE DVD's

Post by Woodstock »

From what I read, there are two places the aspect ratio is stored - in the MKV file structure, and within the MPEG video stream. They SHOULD be the same, but not all DVDs are mastered that way, so what MakeMKV stores may be in conflict.

There are tools that will let you edit JUST the file structure copy, to "make it right". I can never remember which of them does what, since I don't have this happen often, but someone will pop up soon with an answer. I've just used MKVToolnix GUI interface to mkvmerge to do it, which takes a bit more time (it splits the file, changes the header, then recombines it), but does the job.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
AladdinSane

Re: Issues with newer WWE DVD's

Post by AladdinSane »

Thanks for the tip! I was able to use the Aspect Ratio flag to force it to correct. I figured there was something that wasn't in sync.