Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (can't open all episodes)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Chest Rockwell

Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (can't open all episodes)

Post by Chest Rockwell »

This is a four disc set with 5 to 8 TV episodes on each disc. These are new discs.

I am having the same problem with all four discs. When I open each disc, only half of the episodes open and are available to rip. I am using Windows 8.1 (64). It appears that either all of the discs possess the same mastering flaw or this is some sort of new protection.

I have attached the log for the first disc. For this disc only three of the five episodes opened, and the third episode failed to open completely, with only the first 14 minutes of the 21 minute episode being convertible into an mkv. I believe the logs for the other three discs are similar, but let me know if you need them as well.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Don't Trust the B (disc 1)
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Woodstock

Re: Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (can't open all episodes)

Post by Woodstock »

002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB' at offset '0'
002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB' at offset '0'
You're correct that the disk is flawed; the drive says it can't read two of the VOB files, which would account for the two tracks you can't rip.

First thing is to try cleaning the disks; even new disks can have scratches and dirt that make them unreadable. If they're fresh from the store, though, having them replaced would probably be the best bet.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chest Rockwell

Re: Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (can't open all episodes)

Post by Chest Rockwell »

Thanks. I do not see any defects or smudges on the disc surfaces. However, I noticed that even though these are new 20th Century Fox discs, they are DVD-R. Thus, I suspect that these discs are a batch of bad burns. I will have them replaced.