Error with DVD without Encryption, but Encryption Flag set

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Vulnavia

Error with DVD without Encryption, but Encryption Flag set

Post by Vulnavia »

I may seem like a Joke, but MakeMKV will fail if a DVD is not encrypted at all while the Flag that i has been encrypted is set.

I had this Issue with the Aika OAV 1-4 DVD, MakeMKV will search and search and search ... ad infinitum the DVD Key but logically will fail to find it because there is none, the DVD is not encrypted, but has the CSS Flag set.

The only Solution i found to get MakeMKV working was to extract the whole DVD with a Tool that allowed me to strip away the CSS Flag WITHOUT trying to decrypt it.

It may be a rare Condition, but still something to consider, there are DVD's with CSS Flag that are not encrypted, searching a Key on a such DVD will fail, so there should be a possibility to say Don't try to Decrypt it simply read it... :wink:
mike admin

Re: Error with DVD without Encryption, but Encryption Flag s

Post by mike admin »

Vulnavia wrote:It may be a rare Condition, but still something to consider, there are DVD's with CSS Flag that are not encrypted
It can't be. The CSS flag is per sector, and if the flag is set then the sector has to be decrypted, there is just no way to tell whether data is encrypted or not.