Is there any way to ignore medium errors?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
mikebo

Is there any way to ignore medium errors?

Post by mikebo »

I have a DVD that repeatedly fails to rip in the same place each time. The disc is obviously damaged, but there is no obvious scratch... the disc is clean as a mirror with no visible defect.

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB' at offset '500535296'

I've ripped dozens of discs with this drive and system both before and after this particular problem, so it isn't the hardware, the drive is almost brand new, the lens isn't dirty, and is most likely a manufacturing defect on this one DVD.

The problem is that this DVD is one in a rare, out-of-print six-disc set, and I don't want to replace the entire set as the disc plays perfectly in a video player without a single hiccup... Isn't there a way to tell MakeMKV to simply ignore this data error and accept the momentary corruption in the resulting MKV?

If the error detection is in the driver code, isn't there a way to turn it off or, better yet, isn't there a driver specially made to ignore this kind of error for computer forensics and data recovery?

Please help!
mikebo
mike admin

Re: Is there any way to ignore medium errors?

Post by mike admin »

Try using a freeware DVD decryptor, and then open resulting files in MakeMKV.