LG WP50NB40 DVD ripping chapter problem

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Moonmusic

LG WP50NB40 DVD ripping chapter problem

Post by Moonmusic »

Hi,

This is my 1st posting to the forum so I hope this falls within the forum's protocol.

I bought an LG WP50NB40 drive from Amazon.com last week along with receiving two 2-disc King Crimson sets, The Power to Believe and The ReconstruKction of Light. These sets have a CD and DVD with the DVD containing 5.1 audio mixes. I ripped the DVD discs for use with my Plex server using MakeMKV. I had to use Administrator mode as I was getting "Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST: ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK" messages otherwise.

So, after ripping the 5.1 mixes of the two discs with no error messages, I find that the chapters seem empty except for the last one and no chapter names are being pulled from the DVDs. I tried playing the MKV files in VLC but it closes the files after a short start. I extracted the chapters using Music Media Helper 7 and deleted all but the last chapter which has all the content and plays fine in VLC but now has no chapter content. I've tried ripping these discs on a PC and a Mac and the result is the same.

NOTE; With the CDS, I get "Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST: ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK" messages regardless of using administrator mode or not so I wonder if I still have to do something with the firmware for this to work. The CD tracks play fine using Apple Music so it seems to be a MakeMKV issue here and not with the drive.

MakeMKV says the source for my drive is BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40 1.03 SIM22212L4920. The firmware date is 2121-07-08 16:09 with 17 Bus encryption flags. LibreDrive Information status" Possible, not yet enabled and Drive platform" MT1959.

So, do I need to modify the firmware for these issues to disappear or is it something else? I ask as I don't want to change the firmware if it's a drive defect as I will need to return this back to Amazon.com and I'm concerned that messing with the firmware might negate my return.

I'd appreciate any advice even if it's to buy another drive instead. Thank you.
segfaulted

Re: LG WP50NB40 DVD ripping chapter problem

Post by segfaulted »

Those problems are not related to firmware. Changing your firmware won't really help unless you want to rip 4K bluray discs.

DVD-Audio discs are rare to see around here, so it's possible MakeMKV might not be able to comprehensively handle those types of discs. But if you're able to rip the surround 5.1 tracks, that should be a good starting point.

Audio CDs... MakeMKV is not designed to rip those. You should use a different tool such as Exact Audio Copy.
Moonmusic

Post by Moonmusic »

Thanks for the input, Segfaulted!

I used to be able to rip DVDs with my old Pioneer drive with no problem but that drive died and I'm aware that the current batch of Pioneer drives block flashing the firmware. As for CDs, doh! I got a bit confused and forgot that I would need something like EAC or Footer 2000 to rip CDs and MakeMKV has nothing to do with that.

I think I'm going to return the WP50NB40 as I now have an LG WH14NS40 on order with Amazon.com which should arrive this weekend. I have a forum-approved adapter cable for SATA to USB that I'll use with it. I think I'd feel better with a tray-loading version over the slim feeder type anyway. I watched a TwoGuyzTech video on blu-ray ripping that featured this drive and went through all the steps on using it so I thought if it's good enough for those guys, I'll try it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yze4DUCT0&t=371s
OldAcademic

Post by OldAcademic »

Hi - I've had the same issue, both on the KC 5.1 discs and some others, usually DVD, but occasionally on Blu-Ray. Using MKVCleaver I've pulled out the chapter file from each disc (viewable as a text file) - and the chapter timings are all extremely short - it appears to be the software in the disc formatting, so not a drive error. My (somewhat convoluted) solution is to "repair" the chapter file by hand - editing the file to include the correct timings (which I construct by viewing the file in Audacity) and either replacing the original in the mkv file using MKVToolNix or, my preference, splitting the single mkv to individual tracks (I use Foobar2000 for listening).

If anyone has a simpler solution I would LOVE to know!