Get Shorty - Season 2 - program problems

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
LGTrader

Get Shorty - Season 2 - program problems

Post by LGTrader »

Running on Kubuntu makemkv is just having more and more problems. Tested this on a couple of systems.

Disc #1 of season 2 I see the following:

MakeMKV v1.17.7 linux(x64-release) started
udf: udf_get_node: bad allocation extension size in udf_node
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #3 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #4 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #5 does not match one in IFO header.

At this point the DVD drive has stopped, the disc is not spinning, but the makemkv GUI is still saying it's scanning the disc and the time estimators are still counting.

Clearly the program is having problems, or at least my install of it is.

Additionally, if I hit the hand icon to tell it to stop is asks me if I want to, I say yes, and then it just goes on pretending it's doing something.
dcoke22

Re: Get Shorty - Season 2 - program problems

Post by dcoke22 »

Sometimes trying the different DVD opening modes helps.

It might also help to make a decrypted backup of the DVD then open the resulting .iso file in MakeMKV.
LGTrader

Post by LGTrader »

Thanks. I've tried each of the 3 opening modes with the same results. They don't change anything.

Not sure what you meant exactly by 'make a decrypted backup of the DVD' but looking around for ideas I found some simple instructions for using dd to copy the DVD to disk. These instructions appear to work for DVDs that makemkv copies correctly. However for the 3 DVDs in the second season of Get Shorty all 3 disks fail after about 9MB of data.

I do not know why at this point.

1) # isoinfo -d -i /dev/sr1 | grep -i -E 'block size|volume size'
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 2264834

2) # dd if=/dev/sr1 of=/mnt/incoming/test.iso bs=2048 count=2264834
2264834+0 records in
2264834+0 records out
4638380032 bytes (4.6 GB, 4.3 GiB) copied, 373.405 s, 12.4 MB/s

3) # md5sum /mnt/incoming/test.iso
d3a2cdd58b8c9ade05786526a4a8eae2 /mnt/incoming/test.iso

# md5sum /dev/sr1
d3a2cdd58b8c9ade05786526a4a8eae2 /dev/sr1
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

On the first screen of MakeMKV, instead of clicking the big disc icon, click the smaller icon near the top that is the yellow folder with the green arrow. That will start you down the backup-a-disc path.
LGTrader

Post by LGTrader »

OK, that produces more or less the same failure as trying to do the rip. The program starts reading the disk and after about 30 seconds the disc stops spinning but the program keeps running. The program state is the following:

Title ID: MENU
Current cell: 1:7/7
Current VOBU: 2192

MakeMKV v1.17.7 linux(x64-release) started
Backing up disc into folder "/home/mark/RIPS/backup/GET_SHORTY_S2_D1.iso"
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #3 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #4 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #5 does not match one in IFO header.

It hasn't moved forward in the last 5 minutes. The program is counting time. The disk is not spinning so it's apparently crashed internally?

Clicking the red hand to stop asks me if I want to stop, I answer yes and it just continues counting time.

All 3 disks in the set do more or less the same thing.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Doing a backup should minimize that amount of work MakeMKV does to interpret the structure of the disc. MakeMKV should just be copying data from the disc into an .iso file. That the attempt to copy via dd and the MakeMKV backup attempt fails suggests to me that the failure is an interaction between the disc and the drive. The drive appears to be getting lost trying to read data from the disc. Possibly, gently cleaning the disc(s) might help. Also, trying the discs in a different drive might help.
LGTrader

Post by LGTrader »

I've tried makemkv and doing your backup process on my Kubuntu machine using 2 different USB DVD drives. Same results on both drives.

I've tried makemkvcon on a headless machine with a built-in DVD/Blueray drive. Same results.

The Kubuntu machine is dual boot so I tried makemkv in Windows and got the same result.

I have cleaned the disks long before starting this thread. That is often the problem but these 3 disks failing at 8-9MB into the dd copy process suggests to me some sort of format, common between the disks in this disk set, that makemkv doesn't understand.

I'm now curious whether there is a program that let's me actually read and study the structure of how everything is put on the DVD. I understand that basics about a directory with VOB files but something more substantial is happening here.

I may try exchanging this set for a different one.