Anime DVD only ripping one episode

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
rokuterra

Anime DVD only ripping one episode

Post by rokuterra »

I have an anime DVD I am trying to rip, specifically SGT Frog Season 1 Disc 1, but it is only extracting one episode. When I put the disc in the drive and MakeMKV reads the disc, on the Disc Information on the right it reads the full disc size, which is 7.51 GB, 7 episodes total. However, when I open the disc it only reads 6 Chapters / 1 GB of data. I don't get any errors, no blue text or anything. Once I actually extract the disc, only the last episode (episode 7) on the disc has been extracted. I tried Disc 2, and oddly enough it reads two episodes / 11 Chapters / 2.2 GB in size, base disc 7.54 GB, also 7 episodes. Still no errors.
What can be done to read all of the data? The disc plays fine with VLC Player, plays fine in DVD players, game consoles, and the discs are in perfect condition. Below I'll leave my drive information, as well as the disc information, if it'll help.

The drive is an LG.
Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: SGT_FROG_S1_P1_D1
Timestamp: 2009-07-27 13:26:35
Protection: CSS/CPPM
Data capacity: 7.51 Gb
Disc type: DVD-ROM
Disc size: 120mm
Maximum read rate: 10.08 Mbps [1x]
Number of layers: 2 (OTP)
dcoke22

Re: Anime DVD only ripping one episode

Post by dcoke22 »

You can try different DVD opening modes.

DVD opening modes - CellWalk, CellTrim, CellFull
rokuterra

Post by rokuterra »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:40 pm
You can try different DVD opening modes.

DVD opening modes - CellWalk, CellTrim, CellFull
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I tried all of these options and it still didn't work. CellTrim couldn't get it open at all. Is there any other settings I could mess with maybe?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV has the option to make a decrypted backup of the disc. In the case of a DVD, it will save everything in an .iso file. You can then open that .iso file with MakeMKV or other programs like MKVToolNix and try to create the .mkv files from there. In theory, creating a .iso first then creating .mkv files from it should be exactly the same as creating .mkv files directly from the disc, but in practice the results are sometimes different.

On the first screen of MakeMKV instead of clicking the big disc icon to open the disc, click the icon near the top of the yellow folder and the green arrow. This will start you down the path to create a backup.