MakeMKV fails without additional info in log

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
RAHRL

Re: MakeMKV fails without additional info in log

Post by RAHRL »

RAHRL wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 am
Regarding the subtitles (Closed Caption CC608), I have provided some mis-information earlier.

All episodes have these weird (very large, badly positioned, lots of >>) subtitles, including the ones MakeMKV ripped succesfully right away. So it has nothing to do with Handbrake.

The problem is rather off-topic and I will make a new topic for it in due time,
For the record, I managed to extract the Closed Caption subtitles into Subtitle Edit (SE), just by dragging the video into SE.

SE has some features to cleanup the subtitles.
1. The ">>" that I earlier talked about seems to indicate a switch in the speaker and can be removed in SE by a replace operation.
2. The breaks (<br />) that are in the subtitles can be removed with "Remove linebreaks from selected files" (right mouse click).
3. There are also options in Tools to merge en split subtitle lines.

VLC will resize the font of the subtitles when I change the subtitle preferences (was on automatic, changed it to small). Never had to do that before, which is kind of strange.

But at the end the subtitles are still awkward, sometimes to quick, sometimes sentences are broken up in strange ways and it takes a lot of time to get it right. To do that for 17 episodes (a relatively small number in a tv series) wouldn't be worth the effort.

There is also no clear procedure to do it, just an ad-hoc bunch of operations IN SE that I have to figure out if and when to apply.