MakeMKV Not Detecting Files On Some Discs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Scsigs

MakeMKV Not Detecting Files On Some Discs

Post by Scsigs »

So, I have been ripping my Dragon Ball DVDs to my PC. When I get to GT, though, the program isn't reading the discs thoroughly.
What I mean is that FUNimation on their releases of Dragon Ball have both "play all" & "Marathon Mode" features. Marathon Mode cuts out all of the openings and endings outside of the first opening on the first episode of the disc and the last ending on the last episode so you can do a seamless binge watch. I have no idea why this is, but it only detects the Marathon Mode versions of the videos on the discs, but not the "play all" versions for some reason. I've been using another program to do the ripping instead, so it's not that the discs are faulty (they shouldn't be. They're basically brand new since I haven't played them that much and kept them in the disc holders), or the disc drive is bad (it shouldn't be because I literally bought the thing like 4 months ago & it reads most other discs just fine). So, what's going on here? I'm assuming it's how the discs were authored, but that still doesn't make sense to me how MakeMKV can't read them.
pneumatic

Re: MakeMKV Not Detecting Files On Some Discs

Post by pneumatic »

I guess when you select "play all" it's just reading from a playlist to manually splice the intro/outro around certain timecodes in the marathon vob at runtime.

But it sounds like you're already aware of this, so the question is why would other software give you the option you want, given that MakeMKV is supposed to be simulating the DVD menu which would include iterating through each menu item and giving you an option to rip each of the result of those menu items.

The answer is I don't know and all I can suggest is trying the different opening modes as mentioned in viewtopic.php?p=123960#p123960
AndrewB

Re: MakeMKV Not Detecting Files On Some Discs

Post by AndrewB »

I'd recommend opening the DVD within VLC and seeing what titles are being selected during the different playback options.

If I remember correctly, individual episodes might be separate titles on some Funimation DVD releases with the "Marathon mode" being a separate title with all episodes in.

I only have 1 Funimation release with the "Marathon mode" in (the first set of the original Dragon Ball), and I'll be able to check how that disc is laid out once I get back to my pc.