Missing/Incorrect DVD Chapters

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
ThatGeekEvan

Missing/Incorrect DVD Chapters

Post by ThatGeekEvan »

I'm running a DVD of a TV Show (Pokemon Season 1), 3 titles. When playing the disc in VLC it shows 13 chapters (three 20ish minute episodes per title) but when I open in MakeMKV it only shows 8 chapters, and the timing of those chapters is off. How do i correct that, to prevent having to run it through premier after words?

Thanks
Last edited by ThatGeekEvan on Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Missing/Incorrect DVD Chapters

Post by Woodstock »

The answer is... "it depends."

This happens more on DVDs than later disks because of space. I've had DVDs that jump between files quite often. When a disk shares lead-in and/or lead-out chapters, the common ones are used, so a 6-segment video has 4 from the main file, plus the lead-in and lead-out section, as in:

Opening
Common lead-in
Segment 1
Segment 2
Common lead-out
Next episode scene

The episode is 6 chapters long, but only 4 are episode-specific. The Bluray version has 6-chapter-long videos.

How do you correct it? Again, "it depends." I couldn't come up with a viable way to get the DVD version to give me complete episodes, short of manually constructing them. It wasn't important enough a show to deal with that. I eventually got the BD version when it became available.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ThatGeekEvan

Post by ThatGeekEvan »

I didn't think about bouncing intro outro. That makes sense. I guess i'll have to manually build them myself.

Thanks!
ThatGeekEvan

Post by ThatGeekEvan »

@woodstock
I pulled the full title, and doesn't seem to jump to a single intro, but it still turns 13 chapters into 8. But i'll just have to take the extra step and chop it up myself