Mactheripper message

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jtphil

Mactheripper message

Post by jtphil »

Is there a way to suppress that Mactheripper message? I'm now getting it on every DVD that I rip. The DVDs rip fine for the most part, except for a couple that have had unrecoverable errors, but these are all factory fresh, new sets. Homicide, Law & Order (over 100 discs!), and the error message really does get tiresome.
I really don't see the point of the popup message.
Coopervid

Re: Mactheripper message

Post by Coopervid »

You must be detour. Mactheripper is not related to Makemkv.
jtphil

Post by jtphil »

I know Mactheripper is not related to MakeMkv. I don't have the message in front of me, but the error message that I'm referring to essentially claims that the disc that I'm trying to rip was made by Mactheripper (it was not) and that I should get the original disc (it is the original disc). The error message is extremely annoying because it pops up on every DVD I try to rip and none of them have been made by Mactheripper (which I don't have and don't use). I'd just like a way to suppress what is for me a useless error message.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

More often than not the message comes on Bootleg DVDs, as in no official disks.

Are these disks still CSS protected? You can see that when you open MakeMKV and just insert the DVD. Then you will see that information on the top left (I think).

No protection = eventually a bootleg.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jtphil wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:17 pm
Is there a way to suppress that Mactheripper message? I'm now getting it on every DVD that I rip. The DVDs rip fine for the most part, except for a couple that have had unrecoverable errors, but these are all factory fresh, new sets. Homicide, Law & Order (over 100 discs!), and the error message really does get tiresome.
I really don't see the point of the popup message.
If you are getting that message and you purchased these DVD's, then they are most likely bootlegs.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:46 pm
If you are getting that message and you purchased these DVD's, then they are most likely bootlegs.
But when they come from Amazon, it's kind of hard to think that. I ran in to this issue with (most of) the disks from the series Castle. Shipped from Amazon, cases looked genuine, but MakeMKV detected traces of copying on them, and advised me to only rip genuine disks. Never did find out if they were real or not, and I know that "shipped from Amazon" doesn't mean a whole lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

As others have said, they're most like bootleg/fake/counterfeit DVDs.

Some of my series of NCIS and Medium are bootlegs. The series of Medium that I bought are actually only DVD-5, 4.7GB capacity and the episodes are encoded at a very low bitrate. I noticed when I played and thought it was just the DVD producer being cheap, but MakeMKV says they're bootleg/fake/counterfeit 'Mac the Ripper' discs.

All my bootleg discs were bought from Amazon... Amazon is a hell hole of fakes since Covid. Marketplace is dreadful. Unless it's sold by and shipped by Amazon, I don't buy anything from there anymore.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE