Zatoichi DVD TV Series Discs Not Showing All Episodes

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Maximillian

Zatoichi DVD TV Series Discs Not Showing All Episodes

Post by Maximillian »

I have a number of DVD's that when I open the discin MakeMKV and it does the scan, only sees 1 of the episodes on the disc. I have about 10 discs that this occurs on. The discs were purchased from someone who is burning the discs and they are not the originals; those are not available.

Below is the information in the MakeMKV bottom window after I make the scan, no errors show. There were 3 episodes on this disk. I have attached an image of what the top of the window shows for the scan. Also an image of the DVD VIDEO_TS disc folder.

MakeMKV v1.17.5 darwin(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/Maxwill/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01 KLCL75I0315d" opened in OS access mode.
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=E064BA3E3F81)
Using direct disc access mode
Cells 5-12 were removed from title end
Title #1 was added (4 cell(s), 0:45:54)
Operation successfully completed

Any information on what is preventing the other episodes from showing with the scan would be appreciated, and what I might do to extract the episodes.
dcoke22

Re: Zatoichi DVD TV Series Discs Not Showing All Episodes

Post by dcoke22 »

There are different DVD opening modes in MakeMKV you can try.
Maximillian

Post by Maximillian »

Thanks for the reply dcoke22. I tried all of those opening modes and it still is not seeing all the episodes on the DVD. I get 1 of the 3 when it scans the disk.
joekun

Post by joekun »

Wow! I can't believe someone already posted about this. Did you find a solution to the issue Maximillian? I'm also trying to pull the individual episodes from my Zatoichi TV discs. I tried all the different modes with no luck. If I open it in Handbrake I can see 1 title with all the episodes from the disc strung together, but I don't want to use that because it will transcode them. Not sure how I can pull the originals into individual episode files.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Have you tried Manual Opening mode? Does it show all episodes there? It seems, the three episodes all have four cells, and for some reason MakeMKV removes Episode 2 (cell 5 to 8) and Episode 3 (cell 9 to 12). Though ultimately it seems that MakeMKV would also make one big file (though that one can be splitted by chapters with MKVToolNix then)

See https://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/
joekun

Post by joekun »

Ezatoka wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:08 am
Have you tried Manual Opening mode?
Thank you so much! I didn't know about manual mode. It was kind of confusing to figure out how to actually get to this option, but once I did I was able to specify the way I wanted the disc read and then rip it to 3 separate files.

To enable Manual mode you have to go to preferences -> General -> and check Expert Mode. After you do that "Open DVD Files manually" appears in the file menu. In the case of Shin Zatoichi Season 2 Disc 1 I used the following string to split the cells into 3 titles that could be ripped (which I think should work for most if not all of the discs): 1:@1-@4;@5-@8;@9-@12

When I opened the disc it said some files are corrupt or invalid, which may be why this is happening in the first place. It seems like MakeMKV was able to work around it though. I have not watched the rips to verify they are all good though:
Open DVD manually : "1:@1-@4;@5-@8;@9-@12"
Title #1 was added (4 cell(s), 0:45:53)
Title #1 was added (4 cell(s), 0:45:53)
Title #1 was added (4 cell(s), 0:46:06)
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 28672, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 28672, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 71680, attempting to work around
The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 71680, attempting to work around
Operation successfully completed
Thanks again Ezatoka!