Person of Interest S3 D2 Sector Read Errors

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
purehippo

Person of Interest S3 D2 Sector Read Errors

Post by purehippo »

Is there any way to get past sector read errors? Disk is new and all files ripped besides title 4 it fails every time. I have tried other rippers and it rips but the video is no good after 3:11 on the timer.

It plays fine in vlc off the disk. I have also tried to rip the play all file and it still fails at the same spot as the title 4 does. I tried to do the steps to send the info into makemkv for help but i cannot copy files off the disk to send in. Im at a loss on how to get title 4 off this disk.
Woodstock

Re: Person of Interest S3 D2 Sector Read Errors

Post by Woodstock »

Usually cleaning the disk gets you past most read errors. MakeMKV's job is to make an exact copy of the contents - when it can't, it does NOT fall back to "and skip any errors just in case".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

Here is the log for why its failing to help get a better idea i hope. Only Converting to file it has errors. Still can play the DVD fine with no issues so it doesnt seem like a physical issue with the disk?

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '84602880'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '84602880'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:NO SEEK COMPLETE' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Error 'OS error - The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '84602880'
Error 'OS error - The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '84602880'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
Failed to save title 0 to file E:/Video/PERSON_OF_INTEREST_S3_D2/B1_t00.mkv
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Failed to save title 4 to file E:/Video/PERSON_OF_INTEREST_S3_D2/C4_t04.mkv
Encountered 17 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 titles saved, 2 failed
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

Bump

Still ongoing issue looking for more help now that log is posted.

I have done the whole tv series and everything has ripped fine but this one episode.

I tried another program too and it ripped the full file but did not work past the 3 minutes 11 second mark.

Episode plays fine on vlc and dvd players. Thinking it may have a unknown for of encryption that needs added into make mkv?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '84602880'
The drive reports an error to MakeMKV. It is possible that playback, which skips "minor" errors, ignores the problem, and you just see a glitch in the playback.

Have you cleaned the disk, as I suggested before?
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

yes disk is clean.

Same drive plays disk fine in vlc i only have the trouble tipping the one epidsode on this disk.

any tricks?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

The current version of MakeMKV can create an ISO of a DVD.

Does the error happen there as well? Just enter the DVD and click on the Backup icon on MakeMKV.

Could also very much be a copy protection libe ARccOS or RipGuard, though MakeMKV usually detects this. But of course there always can be something special out there!

Might give it a try to rip it with DVDDecrypter.
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

I could not make the iso with make mkv.

I am getting errors using dvd decrypter also. Does that mean i have a bad spot on the disk?

I have tried multiple drives also and i could not get them to rip it either.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't do "backup" mode for DVD, which is what is being asked about. That's a BD-and-above-only feature.

Generally, it doesn't mean a bad spot on a disk. But sometimes, it does. I had this with a disk from Hercules (the old Kevin Sorbo series), where multiple copies had the SAME ERROR, SAME SPOT. Eventually got it to read past it with an OLD DVD drive, set to read about 60 times on bad spots.

(Note that this was also way back when BD drives didn't have a separate DVD laser in them. That disk might work today, but it didn't work 15 years ago.)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:12 am
MakeMKV doesn't do "backup" mode for DVD, which is what is being asked about. That's a BD-and-above-only feature.
That used to be true, but the 1.17.x release added support for backing up a DVD. I find it to be super handy since making .mkv files from the backup created (a .iso file on the Mac at least) goes as fast as storage allows. It makes my backup first then .mkv files second workflow work for all disc types now.
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

Tried it in a DVD drive from around 2010. A newer blu ray drive from around 2018 and a external DVD drive from 2015ish. None can do it. I did notice all the drives sound bad when it hits the error like it can read them or somethingnis going on. Would resurfacing the disk help or am I better off trying to get a different disk?

How do you do the read error skips thing you mention setting to 60 times?
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

Quick update.

Looks like after a long period of time i was able to rip the disk with dvd decrypter by ignoring the errors.

how do i get the episode im having trouble with out of the files is has taken off the disk?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Check the IO tab of MakeMKV's preferences to change the read retry count.

The sound you hear is the read head of the optical backing up so the drive can attempt to reread the spot again.

It might be possible to get another copy of the disc in question. Does a friend also have this series on DVD? Can you check it out of your local library? What about getting another copy at a pawn shop or a used copy from Amazon? You might be able to rent it on Netflix? The point is, it might not cost all the much money to get another copy of a season of 10 year old TV show on DVD and that might be a better use of time than going down the rabbit hole on a bad spot on a disc. :D
purehippo

Post by purehippo »

Yes was debating that for sure. Can get a cheapish one to try. Assuming I cant do anything with the DVD decrypted files?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

purehippo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:01 am
Quick update.

Looks like after a long period of time i was able to rip the disk with dvd decrypter by ignoring the errors.

how do i get the episode im having trouble with out of the files is has taken off the disk?
Depends how you made the backup with DVDDecrypter. Do you have the VIDEO_TS directory? If yes, start MakeMKV, click on Open Files and select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS directory