Drive BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260 1.01 WM91 065287 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed.

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
MADNESS_NH_97

Drive BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260 1.01 WM91 065287 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed.

Post by MADNESS_NH_97 »

So, I keep getting this Error Message when trying to rip DVDs, from a different region than mine:

"Drive BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260 1.01 WM91 065287 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '2048'"

I already tried looking up my drive on tdb.rpc1.org, but I can't find mine there. The only way so far I could ever bypass this problem was by changing my drive region, but Windows is limiting these.

I also tried downloading an .exe from this Sony site, in hopes that might be the firmware update I was looking for, but that doesn't seem to be working either, as it keeps telling me something about not applying to my drive.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... 8497#about

So, does anyone here either know where I can get the needed firmware update for this particular device, or even better, a way to get rid of this nonsensical region code change in the disc drive's properties settings?
Woodstock

Re: Drive BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260 1.01 WM91 065287 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed.

Post by Woodstock »

Given the age of the drive, I'd consider getting a more modern drive and use this one as a backup. The most modern update software I see for it is 10 years old now, so it won't do UHD disks, should you get any.

It's definitely going to be a smaller headache for you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
superboo07

Re: Drive BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260 1.01 WM91 065287 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed.

Post by superboo07 »

I've also been searching for a firmware that removes the region coding but can not find any.
gstair

Post by gstair »

I was having the same problem. I was able to rip blu-ray fine but DVDs would complain about the RPC. I fixed it by right clicking on the disk drive and going to "properties". Then I went to "Hardware" where there was another "properties" dialog. After clicking that, another Window popped up and I was able to go to the "DVD Region" tab and select the country that the DVD was coded to. My reader was set to region 2 when I received it but my DVDs were for region 1. Hope this helps!