Better Call Saul - No forced subtitles

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jdawg4261

Better Call Saul - No forced subtitles

Post by jdawg4261 »

I just picked up the DVD set of Season 6 of Better Call Saul and cannot get the forced subtitles to show. MKV pulls four English subtitle tracks, one of which is cast and director commentary. The series has many conversations in Spanish and German that have forced subtitles show when I watch the discs on my Xbox or DVD player. However, they do not show when I play the MKV file through VLC media player on my PC. When I pick one of the subtitle tracks the English subtitles show in every scene, no matter if they are in another language or not. I've not run into this issue before and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dcoke22

Re: Better Call Saul - No forced subtitles

Post by dcoke22 »

Whenever you figure out which of the 4 subtitle tracks is the forced subtitle track, you'll probably need to use mkvpropedit (part of MKVToolNix) to mark that track as forced and default.
jdawg4261

Re: Better Call Saul - No forced subtitles

Post by jdawg4261 »

Thanks for the response, dcoke22. Unfortunately, that is the problem. None of the subtitle tracks seem to be the forced one, at least as far as the MKV file is concerned. When I play the DVD's through an Xbox or DVD player, the forced subtitles work as designed. When playing the MKV file through VLC or Plex, it's either NO subtitles or subtitles throughout the video, not just the foreign language conversations.