Issue with one disc from a 58 disc series

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
2WheeledDaydreams

Issue with one disc from a 58 disc series

Post by 2WheeledDaydreams »

Hi All,

Some advice would be appreciated.

I have just ripped a 12 season long TV Show on DVD and I am getting issues with just one disc of this out of 58 disc show for some reason...do you think this is likely to be a duff disk in this case??

I have tried ripping the 4 episode's on this disc indivdually and together and weirdly I have succesfully ripped one episode but on the other 3 they all get to exactly the same output size (about 67 M) when it stalls and shows a low read rate with the output never getting any bigger. This happens with all 3 issue episodes when ripped individually, exactly the same output size before stall. The succesful episode is the 2nd on the disc as well.... A very strange issue to have.
Woodstock

Re: Issue with one disc from a 58 disc series

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely a flaw on the disk, given what you've said. Does where the error occur change between runs?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
2WheeledDaydreams

Post by 2WheeledDaydreams »

no which is why i presumed it was an error on the disk...its slight different outputs:

64m for one ep, 72 for another for example.

but those specific episodes fail at the same point every time.

going to take it to my local CeX see if they can give it a clean as a last ditch attempt but very annoying to be 3 episodes short of a full series and probably going to have to buy that whole series again :evil:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

One possibility for a series - it's something that's common between episodes. But that's usually not at different times between them, since they (usually) share openings and closings.

I had a series like that - 4 different disks, multiple players, and it didn't work on that ONE spot on the disk... Until I got out a old DVD-only drive and let it camp on the bad spot for a bit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It is remarkable how differently the same disc fares in different drives. Before you buy the whole series again, definitely try some different drives. Since it is a DVD, it should be relatively easy to find additional drives. Surely a friend or family member has an old dusty optical drive in drawer somewhere.
clenchdwarf

Post by clenchdwarf »

Another vote for trying a different drive; one of mine turned out to be "hero" that can get clean reads off discs that fail in other drives. I ripped hundreds of library and rental discs, and bare discs from the recycle yard with only a handful of failures, usually due to serious physical damage like cracks or dents.

You could try a different ripping program. I've very occasionally encountered weirdly authored discs that failed in makemkv, but could be ripped with that red fox application, or sometimes even old software like DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. If the disc has physical damage, it's usually visible in some way. Soap and water is safest to clean a dirty disc, but I think isopropyl alcohol is safe (try it on a coaster disc to be sure first). If all else fails, rip with some "ignore error" mode and fast-forward over the bad bits. Or just torrent that episode from someplace.