Several days to open a DVD?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Cornstick

Several days to open a DVD?

Post by Cornstick »

I’ve been using MakeMKV a long time and have never encountered this…. I started to open a DVD on Saturday and am going on almost 5 days scanning the CSS sectors. I have two copies of the same disc and they are both doing it using two separate computers and two separate optical drives. No read errors are being reported. Anyone else seen this?
Woodstock

Re: Several days to open a DVD?

Post by Woodstock »

I've heard of something similar, but not to that extent. The "fix" was to copy the disk IMAGE to your hard drive, and let MakeMKV read the hard drive image instead of the raw disk. The issue was that MakeMKV needed to reconstruct the layout of the disk, but got lost in reading hundreds of sectors to work its way through. This wasn't CSS sectors, though... which is what is different here.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Cornstick

Re: Several days to open a DVD?

Post by Cornstick »

Hmmm…. That’s interesting.

So I wasn’t able to rip an image with MakeMKV because the box that says “Decrypt Video” was checked and grayed out. However I was able to use good ol’ DVD Shrink and get an image with that. Interestingly enough it said the video wasn’t encrypted.

So now trying to rip the image using MakeMKV and it’s still hanging up on the CSS sectors