Is there any way to automate MakeMKV?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
raizo00

Is there any way to automate MakeMKV?

Post by raizo00 »

So for example, if I insert a DVD while MakeMKV is open, it would just automatically start ripping it to a subfolder in my default folder.

Bonus points if it could do it for multiple drives on my computer, I know MakeMKV is basically only designed for computers with one drive.
Woodstock

Re: Is there any way to automate MakeMKV?

Post by Woodstock »

Theoretically, yes, but...

Doing so assumes a great deal of information is "known" about the disk when it is entered. Not all that information is available on most disks. Some of it might be duplicated on disks within a "series". Some is information that is visible to you, but not to the program.

The program's author will see your question and give it consideration, of course. Not everyone rips more than a few disks at a time; I remember the last time I was doing that (about 300 disks over a week) it would have been nice to do, but they also needed the episode information added for each disk, so the feeding wasn't the big issue. But that was only keeping 3 drives active.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

raizo00 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:19 am
So for example, if I insert a DVD while MakeMKV is open, it would just automatically start ripping it to a subfolder in my default folder.

Bonus points if it could do it for multiple drives on my computer, I know MakeMKV is basically only designed for computers with one drive.
As Woodstock mentioned, it would not be easy for automation but you can already use multiple drives at the same time. Simply go to the "IO" tab in preferences and check the box for Single Drive mode. Now you can run an instance of MakeMKV for each drive.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

With Makemkvcon you can for sure just make MKVs of all titles. Like:

makemkvcon64.exe mkv drive:<your drive here> all <destination path here>

If within a batch or alike who just checks, if there is a disc in the drive, you could automate this some way.