Have Gun, Will Travel DVD Complete Series NTSC issues

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
WubbaWoo

Have Gun, Will Travel DVD Complete Series NTSC issues

Post by WubbaWoo »

All right, get this. For just about every disc in this set, a vast majority worked just fine. Had no issues copying them.

Out of 35 discs, there were only 3 that had issues. One had an issue with one specific episode on the disc. When it would try to copy it, it would get to about 22%, and then stop progressing. I could hear the player desperately trying to read the disc, but it never finishes. The Remaining timer just keeps going up and up.

The 2nd and 3rd, MakeMKV won't read at all. It posts this error message, first one for the second disc, second for the third:

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=4C194CE2C4D1)
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-6 were removed from title end
Title #5 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 28 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #11 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #12 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-47 were removed from title end
Title #13 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Failed to open disc

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10 1.02 SIM03M6755817' at offset '1048576'
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=4C194CE2C4D1)
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-4 were removed from title end
Title #5 has length of 76 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #11 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #12 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #13 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 27 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-48 were removed from title end
Title #15 has length of 26 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Failed to open disc

Well, I order a replacement right away. Few days later, I get the new set. Same exact issues.

So I order a third, which I just tested tonight. And guess what?

SAME. EXACT. ISSUES. And I've tested these discs on two different CD drives.

Is this an issue with how the discs are made? Or is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Oh, and by the way, the whole time I've been typing this, my player has been trying to read that one episode on the first disc. STILL stuck at 22%. These are the error messages that have popped up so far:

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '311859200'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '311869440'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '311869440'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '311869440'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '311871488'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '311871488'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom1' at offset '311871488'

Thanks for any help you can provide.
WubbaWoo

Re: Have Gun, Will Travel DVD Complete Series NTSC issues

Post by WubbaWoo »

Okay, I'm posting the .txt of each disc's debug log here.

First one is for Season 6, Volume 1, Disc 1 of the set.

Second is Season 6, Volume 1, Disc 2.

Last is Season 1, Disc 4, for the episode with _t04 at the end. It won't be posted just yet, because as I said, it just keeps going. I'll see if it eventually quits on its own and post the debug log here.

BTW, this is now the fourth set I've tried. No question these are common problems for these discs.

Hope this helps narrow down what the issues are.

EDIT: Added the last debug log.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Season 1, Disc 4
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
Season 6, Volume 1, Disc 2
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
Season 6, Volume 1, Disc 1
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This sounds like when I was ripping a 30-disk set that failed on ONE episode on ONE disk. Cleaned the disk, same error. Tried different BD players. All failed at the same point. Replaced set. Tried ripping again, same failure, SAME location, all players. Got disk from Netflix. Same failure, same file, all players.

Eventually I dug out a USB DVD player. Increased read error retry to 30. Eventually got that episode to read. Still won't read on a BD player.

Start with cleaning the disks, if the errors are NOT in the same places between when you tried different disks. If it is the same place, it can be a problem with the basic disk itself, copied to every disk in the sets manufactured at that plant. You are getting a number of timeouts from the drive, as it is trying desperately to read the disk, then the drive tries to reset itself.

One other suggestion, do not try extracting the closed captions unless you really, really want them; that's possibly why it is taking "forever" to read the disks. A lot of DVDs say they have closed captions, not all really do. But MakeMKV will try to extract them if you ask for them, and CCExtractor will churn and churn, trying to find them. And then it will actually start to extract the video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
WubbaWoo

Post by WubbaWoo »

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried removing both of the subtitle options this time around. Sadly it still won't read it.

I did notice one slight difference. The Output size when it freezes with the subtitles was abot 287.5 M for every copy of the disc I've tried. Without them, it goes up to 290.9 before freezing. I'll post the debug log when it decides to finish.

I think it may well be because both my drives are BDs, then. Do you have any suggestions for a DVD-only drive? And do you think the other 2 discs won't read at all for the same reason?

EDIT: Debug log added.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Season 1, Disc 4, no subtitles
(27.75 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Did you already try the different DVD opening modes?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541
WubbaWoo

Post by WubbaWoo »

Are those the ones in Preferences>Protection?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

WubbaWoo wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:18 pm
Are those the ones in Preferences>Protection?
"When MakeMKV opens a DVD disc, it can do it using one of 4 modes (set in preferences on DVD tab) - Auto(default), CellWallk, CellTrim, CellFull." is what the post says, but it IS the DVD section on the Protection tab.
WubbaWoo

Post by WubbaWoo »

No, I didn't know about those before. Been trying them for the past few minutes.

It works! Seems CellTrim is required for the 2 Season 6 discs. I'm ripping the first right now.

How weird. Other than those 2 discs, all the others didn't need any such adjustments.

Thank you! Now it's just that Season 1 disc with that one episode. Already tried the different DVD modes on that one, and nothing worked.
WubbaWoo

Post by WubbaWoo »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:48 am
This sounds like when I was ripping a 30-disk set that failed on ONE episode on ONE disk. Cleaned the disk, same error. Tried different BD players. All failed at the same point. Replaced set. Tried ripping again, same failure, SAME location, all players. Got disk from Netflix. Same failure, same file, all players.

Eventually I dug out a USB DVD player. Increased read error retry to 30. Eventually got that episode to read. Still won't read on a BD player.

Start with cleaning the disks, if the errors are NOT in the same places between when you tried different disks. If it is the same place, it can be a problem with the basic disk itself, copied to every disk in the sets manufactured at that plant. You are getting a number of timeouts from the drive, as it is trying desperately to read the disk, then the drive tries to reset itself.

One other suggestion, do not try extracting the closed captions unless you really, really want them; that's possibly why it is taking "forever" to read the disks. A lot of DVDs say they have closed captions, not all really do. But MakeMKV will try to extract them if you ask for them, and CCExtractor will churn and churn, trying to find them. And then it will actually start to extract the video.
Was still wondering what DVD-only drives I should buy to see if it'll work better than a BD will, and if I need to patch the firmware for it to work with Makemkv.

I decided to try making an .iso of the disc. No dice. I'll post the debug log.

I'm thinking a DVD drive is my only chance.

EDIT: Added another debug log of the episode that won't work. Says I should try opening it in Manual Mode, so I'll give it a shot.

EDIT 2: Tried Manual mode for the episode in question. Debug posted.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
First Manual attempt
(63.83 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
Season 1, Disc 4, Episode 5
(65.66 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
ISO backup fail
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
WubbaWoo

Post by WubbaWoo »

Okay, I tried separating each individual chapter of the episode into individual sections.

The first chapter is where the problem lies, no question. I was able to rip the rest of the episode chapters with no issues. Here's the Debug log.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Episode split into chapters
(69.25 KiB) Downloaded 115 times