MakeMkv and Undetermined Audio Language

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
drxenos

MakeMkv and Undetermined Audio Language

Post by drxenos »

I don't think I'd seen this before, so I am wonder if it's new behavior.

I have a DVD where all the audio and subtitle tracks have their language set to "undetermined." At least, that's what HandBrake says they are. MakeMKV doesn't list a language at all.

When I extract the titles, the languages are all set at English. I assume MakeMKV is doing this. But some the audio tracks aren't English, they are Japanese. So, I have to use mkvmerge to manually fix them.

Assuming it's MakeMKV (and not some weird issue with the disc), how do I disable this? I've tried setting the preferred language to "None," but it didn't help.

Thanks.
drxenos

Re: MakeMkv and Undetermined Audio Language

Post by drxenos »

As a sanity check, I pulled out another disc that I know has undetermined audio on it. I get the same behavior. When extracting with MakeMKV, the language is set to English.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Do you have an 'Advanced' > 'Default selection rule' set which includes 'nolang' ?
drxenos

Post by drxenos »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:09 pm
Do you have an 'Advanced' > 'Default selection rule' set which includes 'nolang' ?
I have the rule set to "all," but that's not the problem. That determines what languages are selected by default. It doesn't change them.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Just checkin'. You say "HandBrake says they are..." English. Is that what 'mkvmerge' indicates, as well? If you have it installed, what does 'MediaInfo' report? Wondering whether it's just a misinterpretation issue?
drxenos

Post by drxenos »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:27 pm
Just checkin'. You say "HandBrake says they are..." English. Is that what 'mkvmerge' indicates, as well? If you have it installed, what does 'MediaInfo' report? Wondering whether it's just a misinterpretation issue?
Thanks for trying to help.

No, HandBrake properly shows the titles on the disc are unknown.