Bad DVDs - Errors on same files on multiple sets

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Tango

Bad DVDs - Errors on same files on multiple sets

Post by Tango »

I've been trying to rip Murdoch Mysteries to my media server. I bought a set of seasons 1-12 and had close to a dozen episodes that neither MakeMKV or Handbrake was able to rip. It always got stuck in the same place on each bad episode. This happens if I use MakeMKV or Handbrake, or do it on my BD burner or my DVD burner. I discussed this with the vendor on eBay where I bought the DVDs and he gave me a refund. I bought another set of the same seasons and was able to rip 2-3 of the bad episodes on the new set, but for most of the bad episodes they had the same problem at the same point as the ones in the first set.

This is similar to issues I've had with some other DVDs that I brought up in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26405&p=114323#p114323

Also, on most DVDs in these sets, I get the warning that the discs look like they've been made with DVDFab or MacTheRipper and to expect errors. I waited over a year, still frustrated that I paid for a full set (or at the time a full set) and that there were episodes I just could not get - and had trouble watching them on BD players, too. Then, this past week, I found a set of seasons 1-12 for a decent price and tried again. Out of 8 outstanding unrippable episodes, I was able to rip one with MakeMKV, but the other 7 have the same issues as before. MakeMKV has problems and can't rip past a certain point on each one - the same point as on the 2 previous bad sets. (Yes, I had notes where they went bad when I compared the first 2 sets of the show.)

I find it hard to believe that even if these sets are pirated, they are all physically bad at the same point. I also think a lot of people must get them and be able to play them at least in their DVD players. I've also inspected these disks and don't see damage that should cause this issue. (And if it were physical damage, it's too much of a coincidence the DVDs are bad in the same place on 3 different sets.)

What is likely going on with these files? My best guess is that there's a problem with the files due to DVDFab or MacTheRipper. I don't have a plain DVD player anymore, just BD players, so I can't play it on a DVD player to check them out.

Since MakeMKV focuses on making exact copies, I know I can't make it skip over errors, like a DVD player would. I can't get these files with Handbrake. So is there something I can use (open source, please - for this kind of thing, commercial programs just don't seem be as reliable) or something I can do to get as much of the damaged episodes as possible?

(And on a side note, after this experience, I have tried to track down who makes these DVDs. I see Acorn's name on them - I doubt it'll do any good to contact them, but I have decided, in the future, to avoid any DVDs with their name on them.)
dcoke22

Re: Bad DVDs - Errors on same files on multiple sets

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have that show, so I can comment specifically on your troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdoch_M ... o_releases

Wikipedia says the Acorn DVD has released them on DVD and Blu-ray in North America.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Murdoch- ... ay/242327/

It looks like Amazon sells at least some of the seasons on Blu-ray. A quick scan of the blu-ray thread on blu-ray.com doesn't reveal any complaints about the discs.

Have you considered trying the blu-rays instead of the DVDs?
Tango

Re: Bad DVDs - Errors on same files on multiple sets

Post by Tango »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:42 pm
Have you considered trying the blu-rays instead of the DVDs?
I may go on and try that for the seasons with bad videos in them, but I was hoping for other suggestions like ripping software that might be more fault tolerant.

I've also seen one or two BD sets that were just remastered DVDs. Considering how cheap these DVDs are, I'm a bit worried the BDs would be just as cheap.