Ripping DVD with makeMKV and converting with Handbrake gives bad result on Mac M1

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
bachi

Ripping DVD with makeMKV and converting with Handbrake gives bad result on Mac M1

Post by bachi »

Hi. I'm ripping some DVDs that I own, just to enjoy watching series episodes via Plex. I did this in the beginning with handbrake and lidvdcss. But for one series it didn't work. So I started to rip the series with makeMKV and then convert it with handbrake (to h264 mp4). The result, however, is frustrating. For some films, the MKV quality is already so bad that I can't read the text in the credits. Does anyone have a tip on how to get good quality to rip my series episodes decently? If it makes a difference, I use a MacBook Air with M1 chip. Thank you.
Billycar11

Re: Ripping DVD with makeMKV and converting with Handbrake gives bad result on Mac M1

Post by Billycar11 »

bachi wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:01 pm
Hi. I'm ripping some DVDs that I own, just to enjoy watching series episodes via Plex. I did this in the beginning with handbrake and lidvdcss. But for one series it didn't work. So I started to rip the series with makeMKV and then convert it with handbrake (to h264 mp4). The result, however, is frustrating. For some films, the MKV quality is already so bad that I can't read the text in the credits. Does anyone have a tip on how to get good quality to rip my series episodes decently? If it makes a difference, I use a MacBook Air with M1 chip. Thank you.
yeah dont compress them they are small dvds
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Ezatoka

Re: Ripping DVD with makeMKV and converting with Handbrake gives bad result on Mac M1

Post by Ezatoka »

bachi wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:01 pm
For some films, the MKV quality is already so bad that I can't read the text in the credits.
MakeMKV does not have a quality, as it's not a transcoder. MakeMKV gives you the quality which is present on the disc with no change to the video or audio source. If the source is already bad, then there isn't much that can be done.