MacTheRipper issue when trying to copy DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
NotMeOssifer

MacTheRipper issue when trying to copy DVD

Post by NotMeOssifer »

DVD: China O'Brien 1 & 2. If you Google the film then it's the Hong Kong Boulevard cover with both movies on 1 disc.

Error: "It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper which is known to produce damaged VOB files. Errors may follow - please use original disc instead.

Using: Registered version of latest MakeMKV 1.17.1

I bought this DVD off eBay & it came plastic wrapped so it's supposed to be as new. Suspiciously it has only 1 round of subtitles on it - French, not English. DVD cover is English.
In VLC player I can turn the subtitles off but on my blu ray player I actually can't.

Did a little search on this and others with this error seem to be trying to rip TV shows, not a movie. Or at least in the examples I read.

What gives? Is it just a case of can't rip wont rip, no way of changing this so move on & forget it?

Is it likely that it's not a legit disc?
Ezatoka

Re: MacTheRipper issue when trying to copy DVD

Post by Ezatoka »

NotMeOssifer wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:59 pm
Error: "It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper which is known to produce damaged VOB files. Errors may follow - please use original disc instead.
this won't stop you from ripping the disc. If you get another error after this, you might post a screenshot from it.
NotMeOssifer wrote:
Is it likely that it's not a legit disc?
Could be, but is sometimes difficult to tell. Does the disc look like it has been printed cheaply with a printer? Like a bad resolution for the picture on the disc?
Ananais

Post by Ananais »

Ezatoka wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:09 pm
NotMeOssifer wrote:
this won't stop you from ripping the disc. If you get another error after this, you might post a screenshot from it.
Not the OP, but if you do not mind me asking; I have a series of True Blood that gives me this error, and after it is displayed I am just sent back to the initial MakeMKV screen where all I can do is hit the scan disk button again, which just results in the same error message.

Is there a way I am missing which can dismiss the message and continue?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

That sounds strange. I am very sure that I always just dismissed that message. Maybe MakeMKV doesn't find any title at all on your disc, and thus goes back.

Maybe try to set up another DVD opening method viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541 to see, if that changes something?
Ananais

Post by Ananais »

Thanks, I will take another look with the different methods, actually last I tried it would have been before 17.0 added the new default, so I wonder whether that may be it.

It is also possible that the disks are just dodgy, they do look legit enough, at least without something to compare them too, and were purchased directly from Amazon, but I guess you never really know :|