DVD Extended Edition Not Showing Up?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
tenyru

DVD Extended Edition Not Showing Up?

Post by tenyru »

I finally got a 4K BD drive and have been using MakeMKV to rip DVDs and Blu-Rays for files to make fanedits with. And it's been working great so far, but recently I've tried ripped the Fantastic Four (2005) Extended Edition DVD, and I haven't been able to actually get the Extended Edition out of it. MakeMKV only recognizes the theatrical cut (Title 2) and not the Extended Cut (Title 1, which VLC recognizes from the disc just fine). I'm trying to get the Extended Cut off of it, but it's just not showing up in the list. I did get an error message in the log when scanning about one of the VOB files, but I checked that file manually and it's just one of the short extra features, not the Extended Cut.

Is it possible the extended scenes are just in one of the other titles? Cause I was really trying to get the extended cut as one full MKV, without having to splice it back together myself. Worse comes to worse I can rip with VLC, it's a DVD so I'm not gonna be a stickler for quality anyways, but it's just odd to me that it's not showing up when I've had Blu Rays show me multiple cuts in the list.
morbius

Re: DVD Extended Edition Not Showing Up?

Post by morbius »

to rule out an issue with the new default DVD behaviour since 1.17, have you tried going in to preferences/protection and changing DVD structure method to CellTrim or CellFull? I recently noticed that the Auto method can miss out a legitimate title, so I've switched away from Auto.
Ezatoka

Re: DVD Extended Edition Not Showing Up?

Post by Ezatoka »

Just yesterday I happened to get some DVDs from a TV series.

The DVD is mastered in a way, that there is only one video track on it, but with multiple chapters and the chapters are the episodes.

Now MakeMKV only finds a very single chapter, no matter which DVD mode I set up to. That sounds suspiciously like your problem tenyru.

Funnily when I reauthor the DVD with DVDshrink (and set it to no additional compression of course) and then give MakeMKV the files, then it does find the big video track with all chapters.

Something must be in the IFO or VOB files which let MakeMKV trip. I can provide a ISO backup in case of need.