DVD read goes forever, log shows Exception Error

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
DaveTheBatMan

DVD read goes forever, log shows Exception Error

Post by DaveTheBatMan »

Hi all!

I have the (video) DVD that came with Alan Parsons' "A Valid Path", which plays fine and is able to be imaged to disc files without any difficulty. However, I'm unable to run MKV on all of its 'tracks' (for lack of a better term -- please correct my terminology). When presented with the display of what's on the DVD, and what I want it to do, here's what I see:

1: 10 chapters, 1.2 GB (A1)
2: 11 chapter(2), 70.3 MB (D1)
3: 2 chapter(2), 19.9 MB (E4)
4: 2 chapter(s), 335.7 MB (G6)
5: 3 chapter(2), 230.0 MB (C3)
6: 3 chapter(s), 229.4 MB (B4)
7: 3 chapter(s), 517.8 MB (F3)

The first one (A1) won't finish reading -- it just reads and reads and reads (even when allowed to run overnight, it never finishes); the log file shows "001002:0020 LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input"; however, all of the others read & write just fine.

As mentioned, I created disk images of this (physical) DVD, and MakeMKV has the same problem at the same place when run against those mounted images.

Since I'm able to read all parts of the disc using various programs (which means both the media and the data are valid), how can I get past this? Any suggestions are welcome, and thank you for indulging my newness and ignorance.

Happy Monday!

Dave
dcoke22

Re: DVD read goes forever, log shows Exception Error

Post by dcoke22 »

Have you tried gently cleaning the disc?

A DVD player (either hardware or software) is designed to skip bad sectors and keep plowing ahead, reading the disc. Often the resulting errors are small and hardly noticeable. MakeMKV, on the other hand, is designed to make sure that everything it reads from a disc is exactly what's on the disc. MakeMKV is designed such that when it can not read everything correctly, it fails. The most common culprit is the disc being dirty.
chowbok

Post by chowbok »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 pm
Have you tried gently cleaning the disc?
Look again at what he wrote. He said he's having the same problem on an ISO image of the disk. It's not a physical issue.

I'm having a similar issue and I'd like to see what people think.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

When MakeMKV makes a backup of a disc it does a bunch of hash checking to verify that what was copied off the disc was correct. It does the same thing when it makes a rip directly from the disc. Other programs don't necessarily do that. If you make an ISO or whatever with some other program then run that through MakeMKV, your results are subject to however good the original ISO creation was.

I think you might be in a situation where you might need to go back to the original disc and rip it again.