DVD mkvs worse quality compared to blu-ray player playing same dvd

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
michio42

DVD mkvs worse quality compared to blu-ray player playing same dvd

Post by michio42 »

Hey y’all, I have an issue where my mkv files ripped from DVD play at a noticeably worse quality on my TV (through Plex) and computer monitor (Windows media player) than my Blu-ray player playing the same dvd (on the same TV). I have not altered the mkv files using any other program such as Handbrake.

I’ve seen discussions mentioning that mkvs from DVDs use an old codec, so in order to play them the computer has to do a quick and dirty transcode on the fly. Would this be the source of the issue? If so is it just a matter of using Handbrake or similar software to do a proper and permanent encode of each of the mkv DVD files?

Some other details: I’m using an LG reader WH16NS40 flashed with WH16NS60 v1.02 firmware, a desktop computer with a ryzen processor (no integrated graphics processor) and a discrete nvidia graphics card, and a seagate ironwolf nas hard drive for storage.

I understand that Plex has limitations on transcoding if you don’t have Plex pass which I don’t have, but the video still looks crummy if I view it directly on my computer so I don’t think the issue is Plex specific.
Billycar11

Re: DVD mkvs worse quality compared to blu-ray player playing same dvd

Post by Billycar11 »

michio42 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:07 am
Hey y’all, I have an issue where my mkv files ripped from DVD play at a noticeably worse quality on my TV (through Plex) and computer monitor (Windows media player) than my Blu-ray player playing the same dvd (on the same TV). I have not altered the mkv files using any other program such as Handbrake.

I’ve seen discussions mentioning that mkvs from DVDs use an old codec, so in order to play them the computer has to do a quick and dirty transcode on the fly. Would this be the source of the issue? If so is it just a matter of using Handbrake or similar software to do a proper and permanent encode of each of the mkv DVD files?

Some other details: I’m using an LG reader WH16NS40 flashed with WH16NS60 v1.02 firmware, a desktop computer with a ryzen processor (no integrated graphics processor) and a discrete nvidia graphics card, and a seagate ironwolf nas hard drive for storage.

I understand that Plex has limitations on transcoding if you don’t have Plex pass which I don’t have, but the video still looks crummy if I view it directly on my computer so I don’t think the issue is Plex specific.
The bluray player is upscaling it plex and makemkv copy it and show it directly how it is on the disc.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com