Doctor Who Season 2, 1 chapter by itself

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
balazamon0

Doctor Who Season 2, 1 chapter by itself

Post by balazamon0 »

I'm trying to rip the Doctor Who Christopher Ecclestone & David Tennant box set, but season 2 is ripping strange in MKV and I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

When I go to rip it with makeMKV it finds each episode and one big all episodes file just like usual but the single episodes are just the first chapter of the episode and the big file is missing the first chapter of each episode. Is the only way forward to split it with something like handbrake and then merge the first chapter back into each episode with something else? Hadn't run into this issue before.
d00zah

Re: Doctor Who Season 2, 1 chapter by itself

Post by d00zah »

Mike just reworked DVD processing functionality, so this might be a case of "creative authoring" not being handled properly?

Things you could try...

- Rather than the default 'Auto' under Preferences > Protection tab > DVD , manually select each mode, reprocess disc & see if things change.

DVD opening modes - CellWalk, CellTrim, CellFull

- Use MKVToolNIix to split out respective segments & rejoin(append) in proper order.
morbius

Post by morbius »

I have previously ripped the UK DVDs of series 1 - 4 without issue but that would have been with old versions of makemkv. Your discs might be authored differently, but I see a different issue. I just put in disc 2 of series 2, and with 17.1 all the main episodes show up, but the "in-vision conmmentary" version of one of the episodes is missing - however, this episode is shown via 16.7. Overall, I'm not yet convinced by the recent DVD changes.

DVD17-1.PNG
DVD17-1.PNG (14.74 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
DVD16-7.PNG
DVD16-7.PNG (17.75 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
morbius

Post by morbius »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:18 pm
Mike just reworked DVD processing functionality, so this might be a case of "creative authoring" not being handled properly?

Things you could try...

- Rather than the default 'Auto' under Preferences > Protection tab > DVD , manually select each mode, reprocess disc & see if things change.

DVD opening modes - CellWalk, CellTrim, CellFull

- Use MKVToolNIix to split out respective segments & rejoin(append) in proper order.
Agree that the OP might want to ook at CellTrim or CellFull methods, my previous post used the Auto method with 17.1 and it was missing a legitimate title that the other methods pick up.
Timedye

Post by Timedye »

Something is broken in the new version of MakeMKV, because I'm having a similar issue.

I'm backing up a DVD box set that last week was reading perfectly fine in MakeMKV. This week, after downloading the new version of the software, it now shows only a single episode on the disc and I get a lot of "BUP offset does not match one in IFO header" messages. Even the discs from the set I ripped last week now only show a single episode on the disc.

I don't know what "reworked DVD processing functionality" actually means, but it boils down to "broke how it works" on my PC.