DVDs Region 2 No Longer Reading After Ripping Region 1

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
nickcowan

DVDs Region 2 No Longer Reading After Ripping Region 1

Post by nickcowan »

I've recently received The Mandalorian Region 1 and ripped it for my plex server. No problem, ripped happily, all was well.

I then put in a Region 2 disc and received a region lock error: ...has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow. And then a waterfall of cannot read this disc errors attached themselves to the readout, this after having already read all the files on the discs so I know that it is reading.

I tried a second Region 2 disc - one that I had already ripped and received the same error.

I asked Google for help and it suggested changing the region through Computer/Drive/Properties/Advanced/etc. It was already Region 2, so I thought I'll try changing officially to 1 then back to 2, which I did, but it didn't work. Restart, no use.

So then I thought MakeMKV must have corrupted somewhere so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. No good.

Then I read that changing the Auto/Cellwalk/CellTrim mode might help....but it didn't.

So then I plugged in a USB DVD reader I have and...it works.

So the question is, has my blu-ray/DVD drive snarled itself up over the mandalorian...and is there anything I can do to free it from the clutches of rpc/region locking errors?

The drive is known as HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC H20L

Thanks in Advance