Feature Request: DVD menus in manual opening

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Ezatoka

Feature Request: DVD menus in manual opening

Post by Ezatoka »

Hi everyone,

just leaving the thought I had. On DVDs on some - admittedly rare - cases there are extras within the VOB file for the menu (VIDEO_TS.VOB).

So far MakeMKV can't 'see' that vob upon opening. If I had such a disc, I tried opening it with DVDShrink, which is able to convert menus to videos in Re-author mode:
https://i.imgur.com/horbaCj.png
Though DVDshrink is now very old and several new DVDs can't be opened (Navigational Error is shown). On the DVD structure list on the left you see all titles from the four menu structures (Title Menus, VTS 10, 11 and 18).

Would it be possible, to let MakeMKV scan the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and also list the streams inside as tracks? Like title 0 or something? Mustn't be in normal opening mode, because I guess many would be wondering, what certain tracks are.

I would have thought, that the VOB file is just one like many others on a DVD, so it would be just parsing an additional file.
Woodstock

Re: Feature Request: DVD menus in manual opening

Post by Woodstock »

What do you have set as your minimum title length?

MKVs don't have menus, and DVDs can only be converted to MKV files, so parsing the menu does not mean much. setting minimum title to zero should show you EVERYTHING that the VOB contains, if it's accessible as a title.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

That's the thing. I don't think that MakeMKV ever scans for tracks within the VIDEO_TS.VOB file, but only in the VTS_01_0.VOB files and so on.

It probably only uses the VIDEO_TS.VOB file for navigational things, ignoring everything else inside (menu transitions, menu backgrounds, chapter previews, and sometimes bonus content on the disc).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The DVD version of a BD Play List is the .INF files, I believe. From the troubleshooting FAQ in my signature:
If you were trying to open a DVD disc, please copy all *.IFO files from VIDEO_TS directory and compress with archiver program of your choice. If you were trying to open a Blu-ray disc, please copy all *.CLPI files from BDMV\CLIPINF directory and all *.MPLS files from BDMV\PLAYLIST directory, also compressed with archiver program of your choice.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Unfortunately I don't remember, which DVD I took for my initial post. But I remembered a DVD where all (few) extras are within the menu files: Godzilla (German version).

These are all tracks, which DVDshrink shows to be within the menu files. Left from "Menu files", right from "VTS 1"
https://i.imgur.com/oSKSqjS.png

If you want to take a look at the IFO files, I uploaded them onto my webspace: https://silentstrider.net/DVD_1202.7z
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

With the most current version 1.17.0 during opening of a DVD one can see, that it is scanning menus:

Though in the end, I still don't see any bonus videos:

Specifically none at all from these here:

Some are slideshows, but at least the trailers and the music video should be selectable, right? I already selected CellFull as opening mode.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This can be done, and (probably) should be... To make it happen I would ask to share ISO image of a such DVD for testing (you can now backup DVD to ISO with MakeMKV). Please pm or write to support@makemkv.com to arrange...
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Awesome No. 1: This can be done, and (probably) should be...
Awesome No. 2: you can now backup DVD to ISO with MakeMKV
Will the ISO be decrypted? Will anything else be "de-protected"? I started the process right now and it seems to run through all possible cells before starting the backup. Is it so it skips structure protections?

You'll get a PM in the next minutes.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Awesome No. 3: you can now backup DVD to ISO with MakeMKV (again)

I dumped a DVD containing a structure protection, whch has like 50k sectors which aren't readable. Upon trying to dump that with a program similar to dd, it took more than two days to try and read every sector at least once (a few seconds for each sector times 50k). MakeMKV dumped the very same DVD in less than an hour. I guess it jumps more quickly over damaged parts?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Ezatoka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm
Awesome No. 3: you can now backup DVD to ISO with MakeMKV (again)

I dumped a DVD containing a structure protection, whch has like 50k sectors which aren't readable. Upon trying to dump that with a program similar to dd, it took more than two days to try and read every sector at least once (a few seconds for each sector times 50k). MakeMKV dumped the very same DVD in less than an hour. I guess it jumps more quickly over damaged parts?
Yes, starting form 1.17.0 it is smart enough to distinguish real content from fake (unreadable) areas.