Ripping DVDs is much more reliable if I deselect CC subtitles

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
lnimon

Ripping DVDs is much more reliable if I deselect CC subtitles

Post by lnimon »

I've been having trouble for months now trying to rip normal DVDs (typically TV series). Individual episodes would fail to rip without any error messages in the log (just says "failed") right at the end of the rip. Sometimes re-trying would work, but usually not. Sometimes it would help if I only tried to rip one episode at a time.

On a whim, I tried deselecting the "CC -> subtitles" tracks on each episode. Now I can rip everything without error on the first try.

I don't know what that feature is doing, but it's obviously broken and has been for a while. Fortunately, I don't need subtitles.
Woodstock

Re: Ripping DVDs is much more reliable if I deselect CC subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

The "broken" is the use of CC on some disks, and how the add-on program ccextractor deals with them.

There are some disks that say they have CCs, but they aren't there. For me, it was Gone with the Wind that blew up first.

ccextractor will read the entire title looking for something that isn't there, then everything will work once it gives up. Disabling CC subtitles skips that.

It's not a big deal for me now that I rarely buy DVDs, but it IS a pain when you have a lot to rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lnimon

Post by lnimon »

I think it's more than that. Like I said, sometimes it works if I keep retrying the rip. If the CC wasn't actually there, then it would never work no matter how many times I tried.

Besides, this seems to me like something that MakeMKV should handle as a warning rather than an error. If the CC title doesn't exist or can't be parsed, the rest of the video should not be aborted.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In Preferences, if you've got Expert Mode turned on, you can set the location for ccextractor. For Linux and MacOS, you can set it to "/usr/bin/true", which essentially tells MakeMKV not to use ccextractor. I don't know if there is an equivalent program for Windows, because I've not has to use it.

The actual executables for ccextractor on Windows systems are mmccextr.exe and mmccextr64.exe in the MakeMKV program directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging