UHD Drive won't read DVDs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
trex1490

UHD Drive won't read DVDs

Post by trex1490 »

I have a LG WH16NS60 UHD Drive, and I flashed it with the Revision 1.02 firmware in order to let MakeMKV rip UHD Blu-Rays. I've had it like this for about a year and I've had no problems ripping UHD Blu-Rays or regular Blu-Rays. But when I tried to read some DVDs, the computer seems to think there isn't a disk inserted. It shows up in MakeMKV as "No Disc," and in Windows File Explorer whenever I try to open the DVD drive it shows a pop-up asking me to insert a disc and opens the drive. Any advice on how to get the drive to recognize DVDs?
Billycar11

Re: UHD Drive won't read DVDs

Post by Billycar11 »

Defective drive or dirty DVDs
You can try cleaning the lasers and discs
There is a reason I don't sell those drives that's all I'll say
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
bmillham

Re: UHD Drive won't read DVDs

Post by bmillham »

I had this happen sometimes with my older LG drive in an enclosure. I never really worried about it as I just used the internal DVD drive when that happened. I later got a new PC and put the LG drive directly in the PC connected via SATA. DVD read problems went away!

Later, I got a new ASUS UHD drive and put it in the same enclosure that the LG drive used to be in. And it would fail to read DVDs. Moved the ASUS to the PC (to replace the LG) and it was able to read DVDs. And the LG (back in the original enclosure) would fail again on DVDs.

So the conclusion, it was the enclosure causing the DVD read failure. Strange and doesn't really make sense, but no doubt that the enclosure was the problem. I've never really cared to investigate any further as I just don't rip that many DVDs, and it works fine on the internal UHD drive.