Gold Raiders / Meet the Baron

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Dyland

Gold Raiders / Meet the Baron

Post by Dyland »

I think this is a bit of a unique case, so I thought I'd post here for assistance.

The disc in question is the Gold Raiders / Meet the Baron 2 pack from Warner Bros; Originally released standalone, or as part of the Classic Comedy Teams 3-disc collection.

Amazon Standalone
Amazon 3-pack

The 2nd film, Meet the Baron, plays just fine. But general consensus is Gold Raiders won't play. My guess is that this is some sort of encoding issue from the factory, since it's so common, and isn't due to a physical flaw on the disc... which is spotless.

Opening up the disc in windows, I can see it's 5+ GB, and the VOBs seem to indicate there are indeed 2 movies on the disc. Here's a screenshot of the disc contents:

However, Gold Raiders won't play in any of my DVD players, or even my PC. In VLC it just hangs up, however I WAS able to get the first 12 seconds or so to play with MPC-HC. But that's about it.

In the past, I've had bad discs (both poor encodes and old/beat-up/scratched discs) be salvaged by MakeMKV. However, this is one tough cookie I've yet to crack. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here's the MakeMKV log:
Log wrote:Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL hp DVDRW GUE1N UE01' at offset '5505024'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '5505024'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '5505024'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL hp DVDRW GUE1N UE01' at offset '5505024'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL hp DVDRW GUE1N UE01' at offset '5505024'
Failed to save title 1 to file D:/Videos/Entertainment/THREE STOOGES MEET THE BARON AND GOLD RAIDERS_t01.mkv
Encountered 11 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Am I screwed? Could another program rip this? Or is this disc theoretically unripable?

I'd really love to be able to rip this, since this is a pretty rare film.
dcoke22

Re: Gold Raiders / Meet the Baron

Post by dcoke22 »

Those errors indicate that the drive reported to the OS that it couldn't read the disc.

I wonder if ddrescue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddrescue) would help?