DVD with very different audio and video track length

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
valmar

DVD with very different audio and video track length

Post by valmar »

Dear All,

I am using MakeMKV to wrap the bonus disc of Fleewood Mac's Deluxe edtion. The Disc contains 5.1 remixes of the tracks in the album. While the music is playing, the tracklist is shown as video, with the current track highlighted. According to what I see, the DVD achieves this by having a very short video (one frame per track). Each frame is synced to the beginning of a track in the full 44 min audio track.

MakeMKV seem to have difficulties dealing with this case. It shows the correct timing for the chapters in the original DVD:
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (68.3 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
But the ripped MKV seem to map the chapters with wrong timing:
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (58 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
The resulting mkv files plays like a super-short video in VLC (runs through in a second or two), with no audio. I tried to convert the mkv file to mp4 with Handbrake in the hope that it would synchronize the audio track with the frames, but the result is a file that is playable in VLC, but has no video.

Has anyone any idea on how I could deal with this and reproduce the right sync in a mkv file?

Thank you for your help

Val
valmar

Re: DVD with very different audio and video track length

Post by valmar »

So, I have a workaround, but it is very kludgy!

First I extract with ffmpeg the single frames:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i Fleetwood\ Mac\ DVD\ \(copy\)/title_t00.mkv out-%03d.png
Then I create a move from the frames, placing the frames according to where the chapter breaks are:

ffmpeg -i concat_file.txt test.mp4
(Where concat_file.txt is a file with content of this kind:)

ffconcat version 1.0
file out-001.png
duration 166.833333333
file out-002.png
duration 234.300733333
Finally I replace in the original mkv file the video track with test.mp4 using MKVToolNix

It's a really horrible kludge, but I did not find any other way around the problem...

Val