Bunch of read errors on two brand new discs, tried on two different drives and operating systems

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Piipperi

Bunch of read errors on two brand new discs, tried on two different drives and operating systems

Post by Piipperi »

I'm getting a bunch of Scsi errors on two brand new discs. They don't have any scratches, and I've tried to rip them on two different computers, with one of them I tried both Windows and macOS versions, both get the same errors (except macOS seems to get Posix errors as well). The logs attached are from Windows. Let me know what I should suggest trying out to get these discs ripped, or what the problem could be. Thanks.
Disc 1 Log.txt
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Disc 2 Log.txt
(15.54 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
dcoke22

Re: Bunch of read errors on two brand new discs, tried on two different drives and operating systems

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

^ that's the standard advice

From a quick glance at the logs, it really seems like the drive is having trouble reading the disc.
Piipperi

Re: Bunch of read errors on two brand new discs, tried on two different drives and operating systems

Post by Piipperi »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:11 pm
If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

^ that's the standard advice

From a quick glance at the logs, it really seems like the drive is having trouble reading the disc.
Could both of my drives be failing them? I haven't had ripping issues on them before. But I'll try increasing the retry count and see what happens...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Theoretically, yes, both could fail at the same time, but... More likely is you're dealing with problematic disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Piipperi

Post by Piipperi »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:06 pm
Theoretically, yes, both could fail at the same time, but... More likely is you're dealing with problematic disks.
Do you mean like, MakeMKV is just having trouble reading them? The discs are pretty much brand new, I've just had them sitting in the closet for years still with the plastic wrapping on, and the discs look and play flawlessly.

And I know the FAQ says the Scsi errors aren't decrypting related, but the first Scsi errors show up right when it's trying to decrypt the discs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The drives, via the operating system, are the ones reporting the read issues.

And "stored in package for years" is one of the things that will really cause issues, as the chemicals from the packaging slowly deposit onto the disk. Yes, the disks will look "perfect", but the chemicals distort the laser just enough to make the bits hard to see.

Surprisingly, the older the DVD play, like your Matshita, the better suited it is for reading disks like this. I sometimes have to dig out my old Sony external.There are early BD drives that tried to get by with just the blue laser, but newer BD drives have both red and blue. And some drives will try VERY HARD to read marginal sectors, to where the operating system times out waiting for a response.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Piipperi

Post by Piipperi »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:23 pm
The drives, via the operating system, are the ones reporting the read issues.

And "stored in package for years" is one of the things that will really cause issues, as the chemicals from the packaging slowly deposit onto the disk. Yes, the disks will look "perfect", but the chemicals distort the laser just enough to make the bits hard to see.

Surprisingly, the older the DVD play, like your Matshita, the better suited it is for reading disks like this. I sometimes have to dig out my old Sony external.There are early BD drives that tried to get by with just the blue laser, but newer BD drives have both red and blue. And some drives will try VERY HARD to read marginal sectors, to where the operating system times out waiting for a response.
We played the discs to make sure they work, which they do. And also, the packaging is just a normal plastic DVD "box", and we have some DVDs from early 2000s which have been kept in their DVD boxes and they still rip and play fine.

Anyways, I got around trying another drive (an Apple USB Super Drive, my last hope), which at first was going great until it started throwing a few region errors, and after that some Posix read/write errors. Stopped ripping to make sure the drive is set to the correct region which I'm pretty sure it was, as I was able to play the movie on my computer and on our PS4 no problem.

Is there anything else I could try? Or are the discs just... toast for MakeMKV
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you try cleaning them? I like to use warm water and plenty of dish soap to gently remove any chemical films, deposits or oils on the disc. I then typically use a can of air to dry the disc. You can also gently use a good microfiber towel to dry, just don't press hard and only move the towel from the center to the edge so if a scratch is accidentally made, it is perpendicular to how the laser will read the data on the disc.
Piipperi

Post by Piipperi »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:44 pm
Did you try cleaning them? I like to use warm water and plenty of dish soap to gently remove any chemical films, deposits or oils on the disc. I then typically use a can of air to dry the disc. You can also gently use a good microfiber towel to dry, just don't press hard and only move the towel from the center to the edge so if a scratch is accidentally made, it is perpendicular to how the laser will read the data on the disc.
Yeah, I tried cleaning the disks with alcohol as well. No difference.