Repeated error when trying to rip home-made DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
pivotal

Repeated error when trying to rip home-made DVD

Post by pivotal »

Hello,

I've looked through the forum but can't find another issue quite the same as this one:

Just installed MakeMKV on a (slightly old/slow but regularly updated) Windows 10 PC with integral DVD drive. I'm trying to rip the contents from multiple old DVDs of home videos, probably burnt 12+ years ago.

All of the DVDs seem to play fine using Windows Media Player, but MakeMKV is giving the following error for each disc:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occured while reading 'DVD +R -DL HL -DT-ST DVDRAM GUB0N LP00' at offset 524288'

The strange thing is that four lines of errors (two with offset 524288 and two with offsest 1048576) are given identically for all of the different discs, so am I right in thinking this might be something to do with the disk drive? (I'm not sure what an offset is)

I've tried giving them a buff/clean, but it didn't make much of a difference.

Any tips much appreciated!
dcoke22

Re: Repeated error when trying to rip home-made DVD

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first! (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055)

There are some options in that link to try.
pivotal

Re: Repeated error when trying to rip home-made DVD

Post by pivotal »

Hi there, yes I did check that link, tried cleaning the disks etc, the only thing I haven't tried is a new disk drive because we don't have any others - so it would be good to get an opinion on whether that error indicates a drive problem before replacing it.