Wrong aspect ratio 16x9 instead of 3x4

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
DrPSARenaud

Wrong aspect ratio 16x9 instead of 3x4

Post by DrPSARenaud »

Sometimes (but seldom) rips MakeMKV a movie from DVD-disk in 720x480 (3x4) to 720x576(16x9) a MKV file and therefore stretching the picture when displaying. How can one force the aspect ratio of the MKV to 720x480. The original DVD plays fine as 720x480.
Woodstock

Re: Wrong aspect ratio 16x9 instead of 3x4

Post by Woodstock »

There are two places that the aspect ratio of a video are stored on a DVD. One is in the video itself, the other is in the information stored in the directory. MakeMKV copies one of those to the MKV file (there's only room for one in the file standard). This is not a problem if both match, like they should, but some disk authors screw that up.

You can use the MKV header editor from mkvtoolnix to fix this. Or, if you're processing through handbrake to shrink the video, it "almost" always figures out which is which, and constructs a proper output.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DrPSARenaud

Post by DrPSARenaud »

Thx for the info. I edited the mkv-file with MKVtools and set the video display ratio to 480. That worked. But JRiver still displays the video as 720x576. So problem still not solved?

Update. Plex plays the movie file in the right aspect ratio. So the problem is with JRiver and not with MakeMKV. Am I right?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That I cannot answer, as I do not use either program. There are others here that do, though, so hopefully one of them will chime in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging