Warning: MacTheRipper

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jbnouser

Warning: MacTheRipper

Post by jbnouser »

I recently purchased a DVD set on eBay for a TV series: WKRP in Cincinnati. When I try to read the discs with makemkv, this warning is displayed:

Code: Select all

It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper
which is known to produce damaged VOB files.  Errors may follow - please use
the original disc instead.
I proceeded to read the files anyway with makemkv. I was able to play the files successfully. So, everything seemed to work okay.

However, the video quality is not as good as I would have expected, even though this is a 40-year old television show. The warning message about MacTheRipper, combined with the fact that I purchased this on eBay is making me suspicious. The DVD set was significantly cheaper on Ebay as compared to Amazon: $28 vs $60 or so. I'm wondering if I purchased a cheap knockoff from a counterfeiter. On the other hand, the DVD set came in a box set and the packaging looked legitimate. But, why would an official DVD set have been created with MacTheRipper?

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Woodstock

Re: Warning: MacTheRipper

Post by Woodstock »

You cannot be certain that any disks purchased on eBay are genuine. Some are packaged really well... except for little details, like a UPC code for a completely different product.

Even things purchased on Amazon can be fakes. I'm still not certain if all the seasons of Castle I own are genuine; some seasons get the same error from MakeMKV, others do not. All were purchased through Amazon.

Video quality isn't always a sign of a pirate version. I've seen some where the pirate version is VERY GOOD, and the official versions suck.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

Have you seen that complaint before about MacTheRipper? Why would that be on an official non-bootleg disk?

Here's my dilemma. I'm willing to purchase the DVD set again on Amazon if I knew the videos would be of higher quality. But, that would not make sense if I actually have the official version and it's already the highest quality. So how would I know if my current DVD set is inferior to the original?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's been so long since I saw the error myself, but I only remember it referencing AnyDVD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

jbnouser wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:32 pm
Have you seen that complaint before about MacTheRipper? Why would that be on an official non-bootleg disk?

Here's my dilemma. I'm willing to purchase the DVD set again on Amazon if I knew the videos would be of higher quality. But, that would not make sense if I actually have the official version and it's already the highest quality. So how would I know if my current DVD set is inferior to the original?
I have the official set of WKRP and did not see this error when trying to rip.
But, it's been over a year since I did. I can try to rip one again and see if I get the error you see.

Unfortunately, the video quality isn't the greatest, but not bad. And for me, the most annoying part is that some of the original background music was removed/replaced. Like when Carlson is in the booth when Johnny is playing Pink Floyd - Dogs (Turkeys Away episode). Just annoying that they couldn't get the rights for the original music.

EDIT: I just dug up my WKRP box set and did not get that error when ripping. My set is the Shout version: UPC 82666315304

EDIT2: Interesting....... I did a test rip of an episode. The original rip I did had some annoying interlacing artefacts, and was about 1G in size. The same episode ripped with the latest MakeMKV doesn't have the artefacts and is only 561M. Definitely looks better when watching now!
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

My set is the Shout version: UPC 82666315304
What does that mean? How can I tell what version mine is?

Also, when you ripped an episode that was 561M, which episode did you rip? Would it be possible to share a few minutes of video so I could compare quality?
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

My set is the Shout version: UPC 82666315304
Okay, this appears to be the bar code on the packaging. I checked my box set and I have the exact same barcode. So, I think that should mean I have the exact same DVDs that you have, right?

Why do you think I would receive the MacTheRipper warning but you would not?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

How many discs are in your set? My set is 12 (3 per season) + 1 bonus disc.

Season 1, Episode 1 is 561.7MB (of course it depends on what you ripped from the disc, so your size may be different).

For your viewing pleasure, here's a link to the first 4 minutes of that episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NofWNb ... sp=sharing

Something you could check: Look on the data side of the disc. In the center you should see what looks to be a barcode and under a magnifier, I see this text DVDL-6258300A1 1 Does your disc have that? (That's from Season 1 disc 1)
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

Thanks for uploading the file. My disc set is also 12+1, and the I have the same ID (DVDL-6258300A1 1) on the rear of the disc, and the sample looks the same as mine. My file size for the first episode is only 498 MB, compared to your which is 562 MB. Do you have any ideas why the file size would be different?
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

Oh, and I almost forgot. Boogerrrrrrrrrrr!!
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

jbnouser wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:43 pm
Thanks for uploading the file. My disc set is also 12+1, and the I have the same ID (DVDL-6258300A1 1) on the rear of the disc, and the sample looks the same as mine. My file size for the first episode is only 498 MB, compared to your which is 562 MB. Do you have any ideas why the file size would be different?
The only reason I can think of why the size is different is what tracks did you save? Like did you save the CC tracks? Also, I run Linux, so it could just be a difference in how filesystems report disc use.

And I guess I should say: Good day, and may the good news be yours.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I know it's been a few months, but I wanted to add a "Me, too!" on this.

(I've brought it up on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26405)

I just bought a "Complete set" of WKRP from eBay for about $30 or so. (Amazon is about $80 now, for a complete set and it appears to be the same set as what I bought.) My UPC (on the bar code) is 2666315304. There are 4 boxes in it, one for each season, with 3 discs per season - plus a thin package bonus.

The quality is poor and, on Disc 3 of Season 1, I'm already having more trouble with this than I have with, on average, 5-6 TV shows when I rip them to my media server. On Season 1, Disc 1, Episode 2 would simply not rip. Episode 8 always ripped to a 0B length file. I haven't looked closely at the episodes from Disc 2, but at least one didn't rip properly. It's ripping Disc 3 (still on Season 1) and it's taking a long time to rip that DVD - it's run into some glitches.

At this point, I'm thinking of returning this set and replacing it with another, but I have the same issue that's been brought up: There's just no way of knowing that if I get a new set, it'll be good. It may seem silly, but I like to buy actual DVDs and copy them (for several reasons, including archival), then store the DVD. I don't put my files up for trading or sharing. I also don't like downloading stuff. If I want it, I buy it. But, at this point, it looks like I can't get copies of 3 episodes on the first 2 discs at this point.

I'm going to see what the rest of the set is like. I've noticed that often it's the first or last disc in a series that's seriously messed up and others are okay. Maybe that's just coincidence, though.