ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION on non forerin films

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Grgoldfish

ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION on non forerin films

Post by Grgoldfish »

I just started Ripping movies and I'm learning as I go but I ran into this error message that no matter how hard i try i can't seem to over come. I've tried to look up ways to fix it on my own but i can't seem to find anything about how to fix it. The error that keeps popping up is this *Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0 1.01' at offset '4096'*. I feel like have tried everything but no matter what i do this keeps popping up on every DVD that i try to Rip and before you ask I'm not Ripping DVDs that are foreign ether. here is the player that I'm trying to use but I'm pretty sure its not the problem https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJW5BXZ?ps ... ct_details. I have Ripped a handful of things already but I'm running into this error with everything else i have tried to RIP. If anyone can help me with this i would truly appreciate it :D.
Woodstock

Re: ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION on non forerin films

Post by Woodstock »

Is there another error given prior to that, about the drive having RPC that cannot be bypassed?

MakeMKV can brute-force most region protection, but some drives refuse that. My guess is that some program has set the drive's region code to something other than your local one (region 1 for North America, 2 for most of Europe), which is why "local" disks are failing.

When you start MakeMKV with the drive active, does the Info window display LibreDrive information?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grgoldfish

Re: ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION on non forerin films

Post by Grgoldfish »

This one seems to pop up as well as the other one but not as often *Drive DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0 1.01 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.*

If it is my drive that is the problem how can i change it so that it wont conflict with the regain lock?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV won't change the region in the drive, so you will need to do it at the system level. Some players will change it as needed, but you want to be careful, as drives have a limit to the number of times they can change regions (usually 5).

Personally, if I were limited to just a DVD drive AND I was doing a lot of ripping of disks from different regions, I'd spend the extra money to get a second one to be set up for the second region, and set the original one to the local region. But I would really suggest getting a newer-design drive that can handle Bluray (and maybe even UHD), that would be LibreDrive compatible so that regions stop meaning anything.
Grgoldfish

Post by Grgoldfish »

Well that's the problem, I'm not ripping anything foreign and im getting this message when when I'm ripping DVDs of my region. That's the thing I need help with
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Quick google search finds https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-ch ... windows-10

It is possible that the region was never set - one of my drives didn't have a region set for several years, and MakeMKV muddled through with it.
Grgoldfish

Post by Grgoldfish »

... oh my god, I cant believe that worked! I feel like an idiot for not trying that sooner :oops: ! Thank you so much for your help, I cant that my DVD player didnt have a region registered in its driver, thanks again for the help friend :D