Death Note Compleat set (2014 North Amarican release)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
meap98

Death Note Compleat set (2014 North Amarican release)

Post by meap98 »

So I was trying to rip the series on to my PC but I noticed in VLC (I do that to keep track on audio tracks) that there was an extra Subtitle track so I clicked on it and it was the text for the things like writing so when I ripped the disc the only one MakeMKV recognized was the one for the Japanese audio translation so whats going on
Woodstock

Re: Death Note Compleat set (2014 North Amarican release)

Post by Woodstock »

Deathnote, like MOST (but not all) dubbed anime titles, has a "full" subtitle track to go with the Japanese audio, and what is referred to by a number of names, the "forced", "signs only", or "foreign audio only" track, to use with the dubbed audio.

Which of the tracks is "forced" varies with publisher. Funimation, for example, usually puts the forced track SECOND, while Sentai Filmworks puts it FIRST.

Most players will pick the first subtitle track to play, absent of flags to tell it otherwise. MakeMKV has a profile option to mark the first subtitle track with a "forced" flag to tell players to use it by default, but that is not always what you want (see Funimation above).

Personally, I rip all audio and subtitle tracks, and then use VLC to determine which order I want them in, and then use handbrake to both reduce the size of the video, and to position the audio and subtitle tracks in the order I want them most of the time. And lately, I've been using profedit (part of mkvtoolnix) to put the "forced" flag in place to make sure things work with most players. See Command line MKV header editing if you're interested in that adventure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
meap98

Post by meap98 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:45 pm
Deathnote, like MOST (but not all) dubbed anime titles, has a "full" subtitle track to go with the Japanese audio, and what is referred to by a number of names, the "forced", "signs only", or "foreign audio only" track, to use with the dubbed audio.

Which of the tracks is "forced" varies with publisher. Funimation, for example, usually puts the forced track SECOND, while Sentai Filmworks puts it FIRST.

Most players will pick the first subtitle track to play, absent of flags to tell it otherwise. MakeMKV has a profile option to mark the first subtitle track with a "forced" flag to tell players to use it by default, but that is not always what you want (see Funimation above).

Personally, I rip all audio and subtitle tracks, and then use VLC to determine which order I want them in, and then use handbrake to both reduce the size of the video, and to position the audio and subtitle tracks in the order I want them most of the time. And lately, I've been using profedit (part of mkvtoolnix) to put the "forced" flag in place to make sure things work with most players. See Command line MKV header editing if you're interested in that adventure.
I ripped all of them but only one track showed up on MakeMKV but in VLC it showed one for text translation and one sub track for the Japanese audio
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've only got the BD version of Death Note, so the subtitles are probably different.

When you open the disk and look at the detail in the selection window, how many subtitles do you see listed for each language? Are any of them indented further, with a notation of "forced only"? (this shouldn't happen on a DVD)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
meap98

Post by meap98 »

it just showed up for the first time so I will see if it is the one for the dub text so I will report back in 20 min