Getting the following error: Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
gburchell

Getting the following error: Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

Post by gburchell »

Hi,

I'm in the process of ripping our old DVDs and the last box-set I'm working through is my wife's collection of ER (on Region 2). They're all on double-sided discs.

Seasons 1 to 7 ripped fine, but on Season 08 to 12 I'm running into a repeated problem: Side B rips fine, but Side A will only ever find 2 of the 4 episodes on it.

This happens on every single side A on all three discs in Seasons 08 to 12. This consistency leads me to believe it's some format/file structure they've been created in. Funnily enough the packaging for these seasons is different to the ones before it that worked.

To sanity check, I have:
  • Tried on two different external disc drives
  • Tried on 2 different desktop PC's and a laptop
  • Used t-cut polish on the discs to ensure they weren't scratched
  • Tried other DVD ripping software (Handbrake, AnyDVD, DVDFab - never found one better than MakeMKV but thought I'd at least give them a try)
  • Nothing has changed the above behaviour.

The error when reading the discs in MakeMKV is this:

Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB' at offset '0'

I've ripped 4.95TB of DVDs thus far and this is the first time I've ran into the issue. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
dcoke22

Re: Getting the following error: Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

Post by dcoke22 »

It could just be that the discs are dirty. Try cleaning them. I'm not familiar with t-cut polish. Could it have left a residue? Warm water and dish soap is a good way to gently clean the discs and remove any oils or films that might interfere with the laser.

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055
gburchell

Re: Getting the following error: Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.

Post by gburchell »

Normally if a disc is scratched or dirty using t-cut solves the problem, but I followed your advice in case there was any residue affecting performance. Unfortunately the behaviour has not changed.

Now I've ruled that out, and because this is a consistent problem across each Side A discs on seasons 8 to 12 I believe this is a decryption issue.

Any ideas/recommendations?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're still getting the same error: Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB' at offset '0'

That typically means the optical drive was unable to correctly read a part of the disc. The usual advice here is to clean the disc and try a different optical drive, which you have done. The other thing folks sometimes have to do with DVDs is use Manual Mode (http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/) to find a missing title or three. In these cases, the conversation usually goes differently and doesn't involve one of the various read errors. See this for a recent example: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25230

Unfortunately, ER is too small and too common to effectively search. It is likely that you're not the only person to have this problem and maybe someone's solved it already.
gburchell

Post by gburchell »

Thanks - I gave manual mode a try and nearly made some progress before running into the next blocker.

Trying the troublesome discs again in manual mode meant that all 4 of the titles would show up in the "Open DVD in manual mode" box that appears when scanning manually. This looked promising...

However once I enter the relevant strings to select the titles and press "okay", after the scan is complete it then only shows 2 of the 4 episodes, the same 2 that appear when using automatic mode :(

I've tried this on every Disc of ER (seasons 8 to 12) I was having the original problem with just to make sure, and the same behaviour occurs on each one.

I'm at a loss unless there is something else people would recommend?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Might give it a try to rip the DVD with DVDshrink (also able to rip single tracks, or create a full backup) or DvdFab Passkey (for full backup of DVDs it should need no license I think).
rblood01

Post by rblood01 »

Can you rip other dvds now without any issues? I ask as it might be your drive laser is going out and it just so happens to be at this point.

Another option (but it sucks) is to see if you can get another copy from somewhere to see if it is just some strange DVD mastering error that is causing things to freak out. You can also try to rip it with another software to see if it is just something that is freaking out MakeMKV. (doubt it though)

Well since we are grasping straws.. have you tried a backup of the disk using MakeMKV? Then use MakeMKV to then rip the video. Once the video is on the drive and off the optical drive might be able to get it to work.

OH, almost forgot what is your retry setting on MakeMKV. If it isn't 25 change it to that level .. if it is .. try 35 .. give it a bit of a better chance to catch whatever it is missing.