Posix error - Read-only file system on Family DVDs?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Jill.Steinbach

Posix error - Read-only file system on Family DVDs?

Post by Jill.Steinbach »

Hello!
I'm looking to utilize MakeMKV to transfer my family DVDs to an external hard drive. The DVDs were originally created in the late 2000's/early 2010s when I transcribed my parents' old family VHS footage onto numerous DVDs using iMovie software. When I try to start encoding, I get the error message 'Posix error - Read-only file system.' The disk and the menus/titles on the DVD do play, so it does not appear to be a problem with the disk itself. The full code is as follows:

Title #1 was added (13 cell(s), 3:37:25)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/Seagate Portable Drive
Error 'Posix error - Read-only file system' occurred while creating '/Volumes/Seagate Portable Drive/title_t00.mkv'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/Seagate Portable Drive/title_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

I did previously try Handbrake and and ran into an "Encode Failed" error immediately upon running the program. I am running MacOs Big Sur 11.2.2 and MakeMKV 1.16.1, for reference.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Posix error - Read-only file system on Family DVDs?

Post by Woodstock »

Permissions error - MacOS is only allowing read access to the removable drive. You need to authorize the MakeMKV app for full access to removable media.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Jill.Steinbach

Post by Jill.Steinbach »

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Where can I find where to grant MakeMKV app permissions? Would that be somewhere in MacOS preferences and Privacy/Security, do you know?

Thanks again for your help, it’s been a bit of a bugger so far! I thought I’d have this project done in an afternoon...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I cannot tell you on MacOS. But we have people here who have been through this, so it shouldn't take long.

Both Apple and Microsoft have been doing what they call "Anti-ransomware" permissions in their latest updates. Things that used to work, may stop immediately, others may stop when you get the next application update.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think it is System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Files and Folders